Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Junk Files  (Read 2440 times)

ridosan

Junk Files
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:53:27 AM »
Is there any way to determine what are junk files on my computer.  I have all kinds of files on my computer, many of which are probably junk.  But, I don't know how to determine if a file is junk or one that is essential without deleting one at a time, and then seeing if it stops any of my programs from working.  This would take way too much time.

Even if there is some type of program out there that I can download that will find junk files

Rick

rlprlp

Re: Junk Files
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »
If someone wants to correct me, they are welcome to, but:  How can a program made by strangers possibly know what you do and do not consider "junk"?  

Michael

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 06:20:38 AM »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »
    Agreed. CCleaner will get rid of most "junk" and has not ever been shown to damage any installation on this board. Be very careful what you delete on your own as the damage can be catastrophic if you don't know what you are doing.

What kind of junk are you referring to? More than the usual Windows and internet clutter?

ridosan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:36:35 PM »
    yes, more than the usual clutter.

Where can I get CCleaner?

squirrel

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
    click on the link posted in reply #2 (third message down from top)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
      ridosan...... ccleaner      

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/Ccleaner

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

rlprlp

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 06:17:17 AM »
      Try Windows Marketplace or Download.com.  I never tried any of them, but I'm sure I remember seeing some tools that claim to scan your system and remove redundant entries, like multiple shortcuts that just go to the same target, for example.  Also, I just recently read an interesting article about CCleaner.  According to the author, deleting the Old Prefetch data can actually SLOW your computer.  

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 06:26:22 AM »
       Also, I just recently read an interesting article about CCleaner.  According to the author, deleting the Old Prefetch data can actually SLOW your computer.  
      CCleaner gives the user the option to select what it scans for.  Old Prefetch data can be excluded if the user prefers to exclude it from a scan criteria.