Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezing and Monitor Loosing Input  (Read 2466 times)

Experience

Computer Freezing and Monitor Loosing Input
« on: August 15, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »
Hi all.

Let me start off by saying that this problem has occured in the past and then went away for a few months and now it's back.  What happens is spontanuosly my monitor will say "Monitor Going to Sleep".  My computer then freezes up.  I first checked the monitor cables and everything is in tack.  I then shut off the monitor and turned it back on and it says No Input Signal and then it goes back into sleep mode.  I then restarted the computer manually and sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesnt.  What ussually happens is it'll restart and then turn itself off again after about 10 seconds with still nothing showing up on the screen.  I didn't even try switching monitors because if it was the monitor, the computer would at least turn on.  This happens very randomly so it's really hard to try and test what the problem is.  It has happened when I'm playing a game, or even when I am just sitting at the desktop.  It happened when I was playing a game and thats how I found out that the computer itself is freezing as well because the sound would repeat as if it froze.  I formatted my computer yesturday and about 10 minutes of just sitting on the desktop, it happened again.  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00389436&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
That is my computer except I had installed more RAM and a 6800GS video card around December.  Last time this happened I think HP may have given me a BIOS update that solved it but I can't even turn it on to do that.  I contacted HP yesturday though and they said it might be the motherboard.  Has this happened to anyone or does anyone know what the real problem could be?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully giving me some help.
Peter  
EDIT:  I just tried turning it on again and now the power button is just flashing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:35:05 PM by Experience »

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Freezing and Monitor Loosing Input
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:13:59 PM »
 I contacted HP yesturday though and they said it might be the motherboard.   

Did they offer to replace it? If so, I would take them up on that. A flimsy HP power supply trying to pull that high end graphics card jumps out at me.

Experience

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 05:17:09 PM »
 I contacted HP yesturday though and they said it might be the motherboard.  

Did they offer to replace it? If so, I would take them up on that. A flimsy HP power supply trying to pull that high end graphics card jumps out at me.

Well, they told me that my 1 year warrenty ended 5 days ago.  And sorry, forgot to mention I replaced the power supply with a 420w when I added the graphics card.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:20:57 PM by Experience »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »
Well, they told me that my 1 year warrenty ended 5 days ago.  And sorry, forgot to mention [highlight]I replaced the power supply [/highlight]with a 420w when I added the graphics card.

Yes, that is worth mentioning.

All I can say is HP strikes again. Be sure and let Zylstra know.  ;)

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1155633017