Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2003 part of MS Office Basic Edition  (Read 2725 times)

retired_programmer

Outlook 2003 part of MS Office Basic Edition
« on: August 15, 2006, 07:42:15 PM »
I recently purchased a new Dell computer, and with it, MS Office Basic Edition.  I brought a large amount of data over from my older Dell computer that ran the same applications, but with older software.  Most things on the new machine are working well, although I'm having 2 problems with Outlook.  1) periodically when creating an email message, there is a long wait, then I get an error message telling me that MS Word is not available to create my email message (I have this selected as my email editor).  It automatically takes me to the Outlook Editor.   This happens once or twice a day.  Strangely enough, this same error happened on my old computer, which was running an older version of Outlook. 2) the second error message tells me that Outlook is looking for a .pst file that I have already used to import data.  Theoretically, it should be finished with this file because the import was successful and the data resides in my outlook.pst file.  Any suggestions to fix these two problems would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Outlook 2003 part of MS Office Basic Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »
1.  Not sure how to solve this one, I'm afraid, but IMHO, using Word as your email editor is a bad idea anyway, for two reasons.  First, speed.  Outlook's own editor is quicker.  Second, compatibility.  Word does not produce standards compliant output.  So what looks fine to you in Word+Outlook probably looks rubbish in the recipient's Thunderbird + OpenOffice.  Sorry.

2.  Control panel-->Mail.  You'll find the settings you need there.  Remove the rogue .pst file from the data sources list.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos