Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with dvd drive on laptop...  (Read 2936 times)

raven725

problem with dvd drive on laptop...
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »
hi i was wondering if anyone could help because this problem is driving me up the wall!

Iv'e got a roughly 5 month old Compaq Presario v4305EA note book and recently the dvd drive has decided to stop working. It won't even show up on "my computer" or in the hardware lists. The weird thing is every now and then it does show up and works fine... for about 10 minutes of steady use. For example, it decided to work yesterday so i thought "great heres my chance to chill out and play some games".

I put a disk in to install and roughly half way through the install it froze. I left it alone for around half an hour to see if it would retart the install. after a while a message popped up saying it couldnt find the correct files. I checked to see if my dvd drive still existed and lo and behold it had decided to vanish into thin air again!

Ive tryed the Compaq website troubleshooters but there is no mention of a problem like this. I thought maybe it was a driver issue but i cant find drivers on their site. they have a diagnosis program on the site but it seems to think there is nothing wrong with my laptop so was decidedly unhelpful!

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate any assistance.
Thanks guys!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: problem with dvd drive on laptop...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
Seeing how it is 5 months old i would contact Compaq and demand a warranty replacement...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problem with dvd drive on laptop...
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 01:05:08 PM »
    I agree with Patio. That's why manufacturers give a warranty.  You are ENTITLED to that service.  You paid for it.  >:(

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!