Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lagg is gone...  (Read 2898 times)

Dead_reckon

lagg is gone...
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »
i am not sure why, but when i moved the primary hard drive to a 5.25 inch bay mounted in what use to be a coverter for a zip drive to sit in a 5.25 bay, witth the CD burner hooked to its IDE bus as a slave, i moved my 2nd hard drive directly below the floppy bay, it is on the same IDE bus as my DVD burner. i did this so i could have a dvd and cd burner, but i did not want both hard drives on hte same IDE bus. i heard having two drives on one bus can cause lagg if there is reading and or writing of data on both drives at the same time. i did get lagg when they where on the same bus, but they where also right next to each other. so, after moving them and installing the new front USB\audio ports, i boot, and theres no lagg on my music if i try to do alot at once (being downloading and and listening to music).

now my question is this: is the lagg gone because they are on a differant bus? or is it gone because there was interference caused by the drives being too close to each other? i just want to know for future referance. oh, a few other minor questions about my board... my manual says there are pins for a firewire port to be installed, but, the pins arnt there, just holes with solder in them, and it in no way says this was optional, from what the book said, those pins where stock, is this just a manufacturing fluke?. also, there is a second power light connection that is next to the speaker connection pins (the speaker for the beeps and boops made by the computer). i have no idea WHY you would want two power lights... but it is there, none the less, if you know why, please enlighten me on this, the power light on this, and pretty much all cases should be enough to get the point across. and my final question is if my power supply fan is ready to die, or the whole power supply at once... the fan on my powersupply is barly spinning, i cant feel any air being sucked in or out of either side of the PSU... should i replace this fan? i mean, it does get REALLY warm at times... or is my Xpower PSU ready to just kick it? god i hope not... my only other PSU is that okia 420w PSU, that i wouldnt use to run a blender... if needed, i can gut the fan outta the okia, it is a good lil fan, i tested it.

for referance, this is my mobo: [link]http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=661FM2-LSR&class=mb[/link]

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 01:30:04 AM by Dead_reckon »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: lagg is gone...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
Provide as much info about your system as you can and someone will be along shortly to assist...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:15 PM »
primary master: Seagate Barricuda 7200 RPM 8mb buffer 80 gig IDE

primary slave: Khypermedia 52X cd RW drive

secondary master: lite on DVD RW

secondary slave: Quantum fireball 40 gig 7200 rpm, 2mb bufffer, IDE

ram bank 0: Kinsgston 512mb PC3200 DDR 400

ram bank 1: i dont know what the secondary is, sandra doesnt say, it says it was manufactured in 99 though...

primary vpu: nvidia gforce4 MX 4000 64mb 64 bit PCI

secondary vpu: onboard SIS graphics, 16mb (shared) supposedly full 256 bit, but i HIGHLY doubt it...

Proccessor: celeron D 2.60ghz 128 cache, 478 socket

need to know anything else, just ask

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 01:39:31 PM »
Get that CD drive off IDE 1...both hard drives should be on the same channel. A CD and or DVD device will slow down the transfer rates of any HDD if on the same channel...
If you need the second HDD as a master the solution would be to use a PCI IDE card added on.

patio.   8-)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »
Get that CD drive off IDE 1...both hard drives should be on the same channel. A CD and or DVD device will slow down the transfer rates of any HDD if on the same channel...
If you need the second HDD as a master the solution would be to use a PCI IDE card added on.

patio.   8-)

if i put two hard drives on the same bus it will lagg, i rarly get lagg because i dont use my CD or DVD burners much, btw, the power supply is an Xpower 380w, cheap off brand that gets way too hot for my liking

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:39:54 PM »
I would replace that PSU as it could wind up ruining far more expensive components than it costs to replace...what times are you experiencing lag ? ?

patio.   8-)

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:11:54 AM »
[highlight]if i put two hard drives on the same bus it will lagg[/highlight], i rarly get lagg because i dont use my CD or DVD burners much, btw, [highlight]the power supply is an Xpower 380w, cheap off brand that gets way too hot[/highlight] for my liking

Yes, I think that is diagnostic right there.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 08:28:14 AM »
[highlight]if i put two hard drives on the same bus it will lagg[/highlight], i rarly get lagg because i dont use my CD or DVD burners much, btw, [highlight]the power supply is an Xpower 380w, cheap off brand that gets way too hot[/highlight] for my liking

Yes, I think that is diagnostic right there.

the voltages are stable at or just over 12v, alittle under 12v on the negative rail, other than way to short cords, way to few plugs on the PSU, heat issues, and the noisy fan, it is a decent PSU, i wouldnt buy it myself, just because i dont trust off brands, but, my dad got ripped off when building this, i have tryed to tell him, but he just gets PO'ed and rants saying that i am calling him stupid, saying that i think that he doesnt know what he is talking about and all this other crap... he wont take my advice, when i clearly know more about this stuff. although, i am quite amazed at how much he has learned in the past year, he's 55, and figured out how to operate, build, and mantain computers somewhat on his own

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
You have answered your question...i'd still reconsider running optical and HDD's on the same IDE channel but that's just me.

patio.    8-)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »
You have answered your question...i'd still reconsider running optical and HDD's on the same IDE channel but that's just me.

patio.    8-)

eh, it works, no lagg, i do not reccomend putting two IDE drives on the same bus and expect to be able to read and write while listining to music. it only laggs my music, just because thats just another file being read from the HDD