Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win2k recycled bin  (Read 2112 times)

Dam1an

Win2k recycled bin
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:04:11 AM »
I am using an old SAGE database program on Win2k.  The data transfer is traditionally sent via floppy disk.  I have since eliminated this, using networked drives with the A: or B: drive letters.  I am attempting to make this operation able to work without the network present, but without floppy disks.  I am trying to use a logical partition in place of the floppy drive.  The A: or B: are not really an issue, since the program now allows any drive letter to be the destination.

The problem is, on Win2k, a recycle bin is automatically set for each partition.  This can be manually be set to not set aside any space for it and delete the "recycled" file from the drive.  The problem is, this change does not stay through a reboot.  As soon as the computer is rebooted or shut on/off, it loses those settings and it must be done again.  This cannot remain since the users of these computers are not proficient nor have security rights to do so.  

Is there a way to make these changes stay?  Or possibly to eliminate the recycle option entirely from a specific drive?

edit to add:

The partition is in FAT format, because the program still thinks it's writing to a floppy drive.  The drive must be completely empty before it will write the data to it.  That is why the recycle bin must not be present.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 06:47:39 AM by Dam1an »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Win2k recycled bin
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:16:06 PM »
    I'd ask this question in the DOS section to see if anyone over there can do it with a batch file that runs on startup.
    Those DOS guys are real clever but they rarely come out of their DOS cage. :D

Dam1an

Re: Win2k recycled bin
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:24:56 AM »
    I was hoping there was a security setting or something I was missing that would allow that setting to stay.  If you go to the recycle bin properties and configure drives seperately, then move the slider bar for maximum drive for recycle bin to 0%, and check the "do not move files to recycle bin" box, then delete the recycle bin its self from the drive everything works fine.  For some reason, when you check the box first and it grays out the slider bar, and it still sends stuff to the recycle bin.  Gotta move that slider bar first.  I just thought it odd that you can set it up to work like that, but as soon as you log off or reboot it goes back the way it was.  Why would it not save this setting?