Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intermittent freezing and no power  (Read 2723 times)

FuzzieDice

Intermittent freezing and no power
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »
I just want to confirm what I think it might be, and see if anyone else had this experience.

I built a system a couple years ago, which included an AsiaPro (now ASYS) case and 450W Power Supply. Recently, the computer would intermittently and at odd random times just freeze up. The monitor would say "No Sync" (meaning there was no signal from the video card) and go into standby. The fans were all on, the lights on the front (tubes) on, and the hard drive light lit steady but none of the usual sounds from the two hard drives. Turning the computer off was impossible. One would have to use the power strip. Then after turning it back on, sometimes it would boot into Windows or Linux, then a few moments later do the same thing. Sometimes it would be ok. Sometimes it wouldn't even get to the POST screen. A couple of times, I hit the power switch and there was no power whatsoever.

I wonder if it also could be a problem with the motherboard (A-Bit IS-10 with Intel chipset and Intel P4 2GHz CPU)?

I ran a hard drive test on the main drive, and it was fine. When the system does work, it seems to work fine.

The power supply has went through some nasty power problems in the past. The apartment I was in, eventually the outlet on the opposite wall the computer was plugged in started sparking when the computer was turned on, then stopped when I turned the computer off. Computer ran great though anyway up until I turned off and unplugged the computer after the sparking happened (I called the fire dept. then and they turned off power to the apartment and I had to move that moment). The complex wasn't in great repairs. The building I was put in after, another neighbor had a sparking outlet problem in that same building.

When I moved to my new home, the first 4 months we had an average of two power interruptions (power goes out and back on two seconds later) per month.

Then a few days before the problems I started having, the power went out when I was playing an online game. It took the utility company 3 hours to put the power back on. After that, I started having problems (computer was plugged in the whole time, and into a surge protection power strip, which still shows that the surge protection and ground is OK).

I hope to get the power supply tested at a local shop in a week or so. But I'm just curious if others ran into this (I searched, couldn't find any reference to these symptoms). And if not, at least maybe if someone else in the future has these problems, they can find this thread.

Anyone else have this happen and find that a new power supply solved the problem? If not, what would one check next? Motherboard? Other?

GX1_Man

Re: Intermittent freezing and no power
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 08:13:24 PM »
When new that was a poorly constructed cheap power supply. With what it has been through I would not plug ANY components into it.

A replacement for that is the first place to start.  ;)

Experience

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:34:42 AM »
I have the same problem and right now I am testing my computer with my old stock power supply and trying to see if it still happens.  
Here is my topic on it.
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1155682971/0

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:12:41 AM »
Well, that's nice, but let's keep your issues in the other thread.  ;)

FuzzieDice

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »
Actually, the power supply came with the case (cheap too). I'm not too well off so I don't have a lot of money to spend. Also, the case is so flimsy that any power supply that isn't feather-light will sag and bend the back of the case, and end up sitting on the CPU fan/heatsink assembly. :( So... just to get me going, a friend is sending me a 400W CodeGen power supply. At least until I can save up and pick out a nice case and a better supply!

Which I'll post in another thread about for ideas/suggestions. :)

But I think it was the power source problems (sparking outlets, interruptions, outages) that raised heck with the power supply I had. If it weren't for that, I think it may have lasted at least a few more months or longer.

Hopefully the Power Supply is all I'll need for the moment, until I can save up for better stuff.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »
If you get lucky nothing else will have been damaged. A cheap PSU os no bargain and puits expensive components at risk. Something else to think about if you are tight on ca$h.

People seem to always try to skimp a few bucks when trying to put together a "great" system, whether shoddy PSU, cheap RAM, etc.

FuzzieDice

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
Well, my friend is giving me the P/S so I am not spending there. :)

Besides, I need to get this machine running before the end of the month so I can have it ready for online courses I have to take (which will require me to install some software, etc.) So I am in a bit of a hurry with no funds to compensate.

But I think the first part of next year I can maybe (hopefully) get a better case/Power Supply setup. I started another thread on my findings and asking suggestions.

Meanwhile, The 400W hopefully will get me by the next few months...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 01:26:30 PM »
Why even add a case into the equation ? ? If the PSU is the issue and you are low on funds concentrate on resolving that issue first. Plus there is no guarantee that friends PSU is any better than the one you have.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

FuzzieDice

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
My current case is one of those cheaper, flimsy types which some heavier power supplies (ie. some that weigh a pound or two, that are not feather light) would bend the back of the case bad. So if I can't get a feather light power supply, I'll have to get a case and p/s eventually.

All I care is to get the thing running soon - and very soon, as I need it for stuff by a certain time. Just to get it working. The p/s that was in there to begin with I admit did pretty well for being cheap, through power failures, etc. and lasting 2 - 3 years! I would say that's not bad, considering. The one my friend has would only be temporary, until I can save up for better stuff.

At least I hope all it is, is the power supply and not the motherboard too.  :-/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 10:46:53 PM »
I have personally never seen a case that would bend under the weight of a decent PSU in all my years...

But there other things in the Universe i have yet to see as well.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "