Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm in Mexico; can't access some U.S. sites  (Read 7589 times)

Ana_Log

I'm in Mexico; can't access some U.S. sites
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
I've checked. It's not just my computer, not just my internet connection. The error message I get various error messages, including "Safari cannot find the server" when I go to some sites that are functioning perfectly in the U.S. I even have trouble with Craigslist. An ad for a house will appear but the photo boxes are blank. Not so in the States. On the other hand, items removed from Youtube in the States can still be seen here. I am in Puerto Escondido and have broadband internet. How and why do these things happen?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: I'm in Mexico; can't access some U.S. sites
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:01:59 AM »
Since it's not just your computer and your Internet connection, I'd suspect governmental control as the culprit here.  When you say "not just my internet connection", do you mean this happens with other ISPs in Mexico also?  If so, again, maybe the Mexican government is mimicking the Chinese government and blocking some stuff.

Ana_Log

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »
No. It's not government censorship. Some real estate web sites get through and others don't. I can get KQED but I can't get WNYC (I used to be able to get it.) I can get NPR and the BBC. I'm not even sure if the problem extends through all of Mexico. I think it must have something to do with the servers. Some mysterious incompatability with the TelMex service in my area.

I wonder if other people have observed this phenomenon in other parts of the world.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:29:21 AM »
    contact your isp and ask them in the meantime use proxy sites like vtunnel.com kproxy.com etc

proxy.org as a list of proxies you can try