Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to control thumbnail images for edited files?  (Read 1997 times)

TombRaiderBC

How to control thumbnail images for edited files?
« on: August 20, 2006, 01:39:19 AM »
I'm working with XP.  And I've noticed lately that when I edit a file, the thumbnail image does not change.  I can move the file, rename it, re-edit it... but the original thumbnail pic seems to follow it everywhere.

I know this isn't always the case because I've got several folders that contain thumbnails with modified images.  I just don't remember what I did different before.

Anybody know how to control the thumbnail images and make sure they change with the image?

Thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: How to control thumbnail images for edited fil
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »
If you close the Explorer window showing your images and then open it again, do the thumbnails get refreshed/updated?

By the way, you're using a 46,395 byte, 433x434 pixel image to display a 65x65 pixel avatar.  How about taking this resized (3,321 bytes and actually 65x65 pixels) version of your image and using it for your avatar?  

Please put it on your own image hosting server.  To save it to your hard drive, just right click on it and Save Picture As ....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 10:09:11 AM by soybean »

TombRaiderBC

Re: How to control thumbnail images for edited fil
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 02:45:15 PM »
If you close the Explorer window showing your images and then open it again, do the thumbnails get refreshed/updated?
No it doesn't... but I figured this out just by playing around...

Right-clicking on a folder or file gives you a menu option to 'refresh thumbnail."  This fixes the problem.  I don't know why I have to do this manually though, since some files are automatically updated.

At least I've got a solution.  It would be nice to know there was a setting to automatically take care of this.  Any ideas?

Thanks

p.s.  Changed my avatar...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:45:54 PM by TombRaiderBC »