Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Over heat issue  (Read 2740 times)

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Over heat issue
    « on: August 19, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
    Hi,

I just put together a computer. This is the first one I ever did.

The CPU comes with a heatsink. Ths heatsink (with a fan) has a piece of tape of some sort on the bottom where it directly come in contact with top of the CPU. Should I take this tape off before I mount it to the CPU?

Sorry for the stupid question, I just want to be sfae then sorry.

MacPC

infoseeker

Re: Over heat issue
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:10:09 PM »
    Hi,
    I just put together a computer. This is the first one I ever did.
    The CPU comes with a heatsink. Ths heatsink (with a fan) has a piece of tape of some sort on the bottom where it directly come in contact with top of the CPU. Should I take this tape off before I mount it to the CPU?
    Sorry for the stupid question, I just want to be sfae then sorry.
    MacPC

no need to take out that "tape" as far as heatsink is regards
    it is safe to mount that (but be sure that it is correctly screwed and fixed)

>>infoseeker / jhempelayo<<

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:47:22 PM »
    infoseeker, you're way understating the case here.  MacPC, it is extremely important that you either have that tape between the heatsink and processor or, if you remove it, then replace it with new tape or thermal compound BEFORE you attach the heatsink to the processor and proceed with completion of this do-it-yourself assembly project.  

Frankly, you really should have been aware of this if you're building a system.  If you attach the heatsink to the processor without thermal tape or thermal compound between them, you surely will have an overheat issue; you could ruin your processor.  To get up to speed on this issue, read this: How to Build Your Own PC - Thermal Conducting Compound/Tape

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:34:50 PM »
      Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I was reading some where on the net, someone mention that the tape needs to be off before applying the paste you mentioned and someone else said the tape should be left alone, I was a bit confused.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

MacPC

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 11:27:53 PM »
      Tape or paster. Never both.  ;)