Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovering my PC from another PC  (Read 2519 times)

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Recovering my PC from another PC
    « on: August 20, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »
    Hi.. Is it possible to take someone elses Recovery DVD's and Recover your computer with them?
    I borrowed the Recovery DVD's from my friends Laptop it is a Acer Aspire 5601 Laptop and he has Windows Media Center with Service Pack 2 on it, and i wanted to recover my system using those DVD's is it possible? I tried it and set my DVD Drive the boot first in the BIOS settings and it read the DVD and then it went to load windows. Is there some DOS or Any software that i can download so i can put the Media Center on it.
    My Friend Vitaliy he tried it and it worked, He has a Gateway Media Center Laptop and he took the Recovery DVD and recovered his Sony Vaio Desktop.
    Any Help would be much appriciated.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 07:40:31 AM by Maksim »

GX1_Man

Re: Recovering my PC from another PC
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:40:28 AM »
    No. Restore CD's are based on a specific maker's characteristics, BIOS, etc. Besides being illegal, it doesn't work.

Maksim

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:01:15 AM »
      Ok then hear me out on this one.. My Cauzins have a HP Pavillion Desktop Machine and mine is the same but with different models his is a Media Center Edition mine is a Windows Professioanal so can i make recovery CD's from my cauzins computer and install them on mine and recover my machine with them? well they are the same manufacturesrs

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:09:48 AM »
         Maksim ....... LOl ........ What part of what GX1_Man said didn't you understand ?  
        My Friend Vitaliy he tried it and it worked
         So I suppose that means your going to try it .... dont be surprised if it doesnt work .........

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:06:29 AM »
        Vitaliy seems to have problems of his own.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:43:21 AM »
        here is a good ? I have and old xp disk so I dont have this problem it works on any comp. BUT i've been told you can only leagally put it on 1 comp. is this true if the computers you install it on are yours and remain in your possesion? And lastly i think it is a sham that you have to buy a windows cd if you dont have it I mean if you bought a premade computer that came with windows you allready paid for the software and you should be able to have what ever version came on that computer...(why dont I just learn Linux)
        CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 04:10:37 AM »
        If you read the EULA carefully you do not "own" Windows, you have just paid for the right to use it. And you are only allowed to use it on one computer. Sometimes this is the computer it came with and that's it.

That is the way Bill Gates wants it.