Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No video output  (Read 2164 times)

sabbathen

No video output
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:24:48 AM »
Hi there, thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide... my problem is as follows. Went to turn on my desktop this morning and everything seemed to boot up normally apart from one thing, my monitor is getting no signal it just stays in standby mode!
This is a list of the things I have tried so far:
Re connected the monitor cable
Plugged my laptop into the monitor and it worked fine so doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the monitor.
I got another monitor and plugged it into my desktop, no luck there. The monitor doesn't register a thing, it just stays in standby mode.
I start thinking my video card is dead so I went and bought a new Nvidia one. The existing video card is attached to the mother board making it unable to remove. I connected the new video card to the AGP slot and connect the monitor to the new output. Still no good, just stays in standby mode. I've tried rebooting with the windows XP disc, still nothing. The Desktop seems to be working fine, not making any wierd noises or anything but I cannot see a thing. Any ideas because I am at a loss? Thanks alot!

Edit* I have just realised no lights on my keyboard show up

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: No video output
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
    Do you get any 'beeps' when the sysem boots?  Normally, you will get 1 beep which indicates the system sees itself ok.  Any other beeps will mean you've got issues... as if you didn't already know that  ;)

How many RAM sticks do you have?  If you've got more than one, pull the other out and see if it works.  The other thing you can try is to remove any other expansion cards (modem, network, etc.) and see if it will boot properly.

Also, do you have a spare power supply?  If so, swap it out and see what happens.

Alan <><  :D

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

zzaio

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:54:31 PM »
    I just had the very same problem you describe.  See thread started by me in this section.  

I still don't know what the problem was, but it resolved itself after I unplugged my power connectors to the motherboard and reconnected them.  On my MOBO there is a  24 pin connector and a 4 pin (2x2 ) connector near the CPU.  

Good luck!

SyneWave

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
    WOW, I've just had the same thing. No monitor. Keyboard works, Mouse works (I think). I know the keyboard works because I can shut down by pressing the option key, up arrow, enter and then enter again.

I had a problem earlier when trying to load in a sound card. Got 9 beeps for my trouble, since then the beeps have gone back to one but no monitor. I have a Radeon Graphics and a built on graphics chip and neither work.
    If it is the BIOS, how can it be rectified??

SyneWave

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
     ;D ;D ;D ;D
    HAPPY ME
    -----------
    and
    EGG on Face.
    -----------
    Just read above how a loose lead or memory might need looking at - so I checked mine, and pushed my Radeon and Modem card and found they were not set down properly.
    It must have occured when I loaded the sound card earlier. - Hence the egg....

I think these forums a brilliant.

This is brought to you from my working PC.   ;)
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:19:22 PM by SyneWave »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »
    Funny thing how proper assembly IS important. Glad you got it sorted out.  ;)