Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Everything freezes when online....is it a virus?  (Read 5197 times)

bionixon

Everything freezes when online....is it a virus?
« on: August 13, 2006, 07:48:39 PM »
Good Evening,
I have a desktop PC with XP.  I use Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, and recently added NOD32.  
Recently, while online, the window freezes....if I click other windows or icons, the entire desktop freezes as well and the only way to "fix" it is to shut down at the power button.  I've tried CTR-ALT-DEL but to no avail.  I have run all scans as much as I can until it freezes.  I also did a system restore. I'm afraid I have a virus or something worse and can't clear it.  There are no alerts or warnings...it just locks up.
Hopefully someone can  help.
BIONIXON

GX1_Man

Re: Everything freezes when online....is it a viru
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 10:51:08 PM »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 08:21:47 AM »
    I use Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, and recently added NOD32.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:03:44 PM »
    One antivirus is all you need. Two active ones can cause problems.

bionixon

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »
    I was wondering if NOD32 was interfering somehow since the problem began shortly after installation.  I did try to remove it, but was unable.  I went to Add/Remove Programs in Control panel to remove it, but did not succeed.  

BUT...after running an indepth scan using NOD, I found a trojan virus...actually two.  The ENVOLO.B and ENVOLO.C.   I installed Ewido to remove these, but it freezes before the scan is completed.  

So........is the virus the problem, or the NOD32.  That is the question I'm working on.  

bionixon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:01:55 PM »
    OK, I was able to locate the file in which the trojans exist, as indicated by the NOD32.  It will not allow me to remove/clean the file.  I scanned that file using Ewido, but it found no threats in the same file.  Is there a better removal tool that I should be using?  I referred to the list of suggested tools in another post which indicated Ewido was helpful.  
    I may be going about this all wrong.
    bio

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 08:03:24 PM »
      Try scanning & cleaning in safe mode.

bionixon

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 08:29:45 PM »
      I'm working on scanning in safe modebu having no luck finding the trojans using Norton, Adaware, Spybot, or Ewido.  I'm curious why the NOD32 is not present?  

bionixon

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »
      PLease forgive my ignorance.  I found NOD32 when performed a search.  I used it to scan the folder in which it originally found the trojans.  THis time, it found nothing.  I'm not sure what this means.  
      Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
        « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »
        what were the scan results