Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer multiple problems  (Read 2425 times)

Toodles

Computer multiple problems
« on: August 22, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »
The computer was running just fine, then last week it began having problems. It would freeze and go blue screen for no reason. Then a few days later it would go blue screen while starting up and you'd have to restart it several times before it would finally start right. And even then, later it would freeze again.

Now the most recent thing is that the hot keys on the Logitech keyboard wont work anymore. If you set them, it doesn't save them and so none of those buttons work. Also sometimes when it freezes they cdrom drive opens up by itself while restarting. Other times the speakers make a weird clicking sound, windows starts, then it goes blue screen.

The computer is running WinMe and has about 350mb of ram. I can't figure out what's wrong with it and it only seems to be getting worse every day. Can anyone please help?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Computer multiple problems
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:54:20 PM »
    is it up to date? what kind of protection do u have? antivirus antispyware?
    are they up to date?

did you do scans in safe mode with the system restore off??

unlovedwarrior

Toodles

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »
    McAfee and it's up to date. Did a scan and found nothing.
    AdAware also up to date, but it freezes before the scan can finish all the way.

I didn't try the scans in safe mode yet though.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
    If you have important files that have not been backed up, you should back them up ASAP, if you still can.  I fear you might have hardware problems developing or you have major 0S issues which may require formatting and doing a fresh installation of Windows.

When you are online, do you have firewall protection?

How old is your computer and your hard drive?  Have you ever run chkdsk to see what it reports?  

Toodles

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »
    I dont have a firewall on that computer. It's pretty old like 6 years or more, but the hard drive isn't as old. Maybe 3 or 4 years.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 08:52:56 AM »
    And, you used that computer on the Internet regularly?  What type of Internet connection do you have?  Dialup, DSL, cable?

Again, If you have important files that have not been backed up, you should back them up ASAP, if you still can.

Exactly what McAfee product do you have installed?  Is it just anti-virus or does it include other Internet security features?  

Have you ever re-formatted the hard drive and re-installed your OS?  Apparently, you either did that when you upgraded a hard drive, or you had someone else do it.  Do you have your Windows CD?

Toodles

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »
    It has DSL. McAfee is only virus protector. The OS was installed by someone else when we got the new HD. Recently, it needed to be reloaded because of corrupt system files but the HD wasn't formatted that time. I dont have the OS disc though.

I also dont have backups of any of the files. I guess I should get on that  :-/

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:25:10 AM »
    Yes, you'd better backup anything you would not want to lose.  Keep in mind such things as browser Favorites, email settings, address book, etc., when determining what you want to backup.

You have no firewall.  That's bad, especially with a broadband (DSL/cable) Internet connection; it's quite likely the cause of your problems.  You've picked up malware that you might not have gotten if you had firewall protection.

Why don't you have the OS disc?  How did the person who serviced your computer reinstall Windows?  
    The best solution in this case may be a formatting of the hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

Toodles

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »
    The WinME disc we had, had gotten lost some years ago. The repair guy had his own copy.

Also, is it possible to get the malware removed without reformatting the hd? There are a number of programs on the hd that can't be replaced or reinstalled and I dont want to lose them.
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:03:07 PM by Toodles »