Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Explorer  (Read 4345 times)

INSA_Lyon

Windows Explorer
« on: September 12, 2004, 02:19:34 PM »
I have a problem with my laptop when trying to access my hard-drive through "My Computer", it gives an error and the screen flashes back to the desk-top. Im using XP. I got some spyware recently but got rid of it with McAfee and ever since Ive had this problem. If I go into a photo editor or something and click open I can browse throgh the hard-drive no problem but I cant access it any other way. Any ideas really appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 02:20:21 PM by INSA_Lyon »

merlin_2

Re: Windows Explorer
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:30:56 PM »
did you completely uninstall mcfee? anyway the safe option is to reboot and keep tapping the f8 and chose last good config...and if you need anti-virus pay www.majorgeeks.com...a visit...

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 02:40:23 PM »
I think what the quest meant was that he removed the spyware with Mcafee.

Lyon, I suggest you use a program such as Adaware SE or Spybot S&D to remove Adaware. They are more sophisticated when it comes to doing that.

INSA_Lyon

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 04:34:22 PM »
I downloaded that Adaware SE and it found alot of stuff that McAfee didnt. I also just updated my XP with service pack 2 but the problem is still there when trying to access hard-drive, any other idea's? i think the problem is just with explorer...
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 04:34:48 PM by INSA_Lyon »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 04:44:11 PM »
    INSA_Lyon.....IF you are certain you have no pests present.....I would suggest you use XPs system restore ..and go back to just before all your problems started.....This will get you back to the way thing were .
    ONLY do this if you are certain that you do not have any infestations ........

let us know how you make out
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.