Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows2000 Login  (Read 4605 times)

dayooper13

Windows2000 Login
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:42:11 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm not too computer literate so take it kind of easy on me.

First off my computer is a Direction SPL 300 (old I know), 300 mhz, pent 2, 128mb RAM (currently, upgrading soon, like within a few days to 224mb), 100gb  HDD, Windows2000 Prof.

I recently (yesterday) installed a new HDD (100gb) in my computer and used (sorry for name dropping) MaxBlast 4 to copy each partition from the old HDD to the new one and everything seems to have copied over fine, except when I start the computer with the new HDD it goes all the way to the Windows 2000 login (Ctrl, Alt, Delet) screen. I tried logging in using both administrator and my active user account. And after typing in my username and password, the computer changes to the normal "loading your personal settings" screen and then immediately jumps back to the login screen. Does anyone know of a reason for this? I am asking the same question on another forum, and there suggestion was boot in safe mode, which I am going to try tomorrow (26AUG06) when I am off of work. But does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Anything will help.

-Thanks-

GX1_Man

Re: Windows2000 Login
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 05:04:46 AM »
Do you have a real Windows CD to reinstall, if necessary?

dayooper13

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:46:16 AM »
Nope, trust me if I had I would've just installed a whole new O/S on the new hard drive. Anyway I'm getting off of work in a few minutes, so I'm going to just try and run it in safe mode if that doesn't work, I guess I'll just keep that drive as extra storage.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:53:41 AM »
Have you tried just hitting Enter at the logon screen ? ?

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dayooper13

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »
Well it looks like I screwed it up pretty bad. This morning I tried to re-copy the C drive to my new HDD from the old one and, I ended up loosing my Windows2000 on my new and old HDD. See, my old HDD was dual-boot Windows95/Windows2000 and when I tried copying it this morning I ended up with both the new and old HDD's trying to boot only Windows95, and I haven't seen any sign of Windows2000, and when it trys to boot Windows95 (since I tried removing Windows95, a little while ago) it goes directly to an MS-DOS Prompt screen and tells me that win.com can't be found. Is there something I can type into the MS-DOS Prompt, to get my Windows2000 back?

PLEASE HELP!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE.