Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Detecting and solving Problems with CD Writers  (Read 2387 times)

Pradeep

Detecting and solving Problems with CD Writers
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:04:24 AM »
Windows XP Home updated with Service Pack 2. Samsung CD Writer 52x worked fine earlier to installing SP 2;  but now the Light blinks for a while on the writer but does not detect the blank CDR media. Help sort out the reasons. Is it dirt on laser or the culprit is SP2 ?

pcdoc4christ

Re: Detecting and solving Problems with CD Writers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »
Try reinstalling the driver for the CD-RW drive using the CD that came with the device, or download the correct Windows XP driver for the CD-RW drive from the Samsung Web site.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 04:11:09 PM »
The culprit can and often is the blank media itself...some writers are picky about the brand. Try another brand as well...
Actually when i buy a new burner i borrow/buy one blank of all the major types and do a test burn to find out which type the burner likes.
Nothing worse than splurging on a hundred pack that's on sale only to find your burner hates the flavor.

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pradeep

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 02:15:24 AM »
Of course I did re-install the drivers for the CD Writer and checked with the media itself which were previously working with the Writer. Yet nothing is working now.

Is it possible that dirt is sitting somewhere on the laser itself. If it is so, how to clean it with the lense cleaner, particularly when nothing works except the Indicator Light blinks for 30-40 sec. on the Writer's drive.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 05:01:15 AM »
It ould just be an old failed drive and no amount of cleaning, etc. will ever help.

How old is it and has it had a lot of use?