Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Teaching children  (Read 3758 times)

Lolly

Teaching children
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:04:27 AM »
 :-? i would like how you go about teaching children under 12 to use the computer? I hope there is someone out there that can assist me.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Teaching children
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:29:14 AM »
    Only old people need teaching, kids are born with it. :D
    I would recommend you install a 'learn to type program' though and make them use it otherwise they will be hunting & pecking for the rest of their lives.

Lolly

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 01:40:11 AM »
    That's true but some children just don't understand. I am talking about puting together a lesson plan starting right from the very basic. I want open a computer center one day, so i doing a lot of research. Thanks for the feedback.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:47:06 AM »
    Only old people need teaching, kids are born with it. :D
    I would recommend you install a 'learn to type program' though and make them use it otherwise they will be hunting & pecking for the rest of their lives.

Good idea Fed .Have a program that limits your use of operating system
    and programs.

As you advance in skills you get more access.

At some point you could use online service and play games after you master the keyboard and learn to spell.

No acronyms please! LOL
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 04:48:36 AM by street1 »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:58:08 AM »
    No acronyms please! LOL
    That's great comedy, right there.  :)

If you're starting completely from scratch, why not try your local book store?  Ten seconds on Amazon (searching for "computing children") found >this gem< - I'm sure there are plenty more resources out there like that.  :)
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »
    Here's over 39 MILLION places to start your research:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+teach+children+to+use+computer

Lolly

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »
    Thanks for the feedback from all. I will now start my research.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »
      I only get 23,800,000 results!

Maksim

Hopeful
        « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »
        Here is a step by step tutorial online: http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=45 Its not free although it may be costly but it is worth.. i bought it and in one week i was a Windows XP Expert.. I started from Start Button up to System and Maintenace.. Give it a try..
        P.S. You can get a privew of what the tutorial is about.. Click on the Underlined ones and then watch them..
        « Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:39:33 AM by Maksim »

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »
          I learnt most of that stuff myself through trial and error as a child... for free. Did I ever mess up my computer doing that? Yes. Did I fix it? Well I had to. Did I learn more than what some guide or tutorial could teach me? You bet.

The best way to learn how to use a computer is to use one. I learnt most of my stuff from computer games. First they have to be installed (learn about harddisk management), set up with options and things... download patches and new maps and figure out how to add them... look at game files and see what happens if I change them... computer games taught me more than I ever learnt about computers at school.

I remember the lessons, wasted my time basically. Following all these instructions on how to write a letter or copy a file that were just trival to me and I got bored easily. I suggest, show the kids the basics, then let them figure out how to do it on their own, unless they ask for help or are struggling. Give them some reference sheets on how to use different aspecs, and show them how to access help inside Windows or Microsoft Office, then let them get on with it. They'll look up what they need to and get some hands on experiance problem solving, and learn how to look up information efficiently. Because in real life you don't get handed a sheet telling you what to do.

1. Show them (you doing it yourself) some basics.
          2. Give them some general information sheets to use as and when they need.
          3. Give them a task, let 'em rip.

Will they work individually on their own computer, or as a group? As a group might be easier (especially if you don't have enough computers!) but make sure all people are contributing... whenever I was grouped with people on things I was good at and they were not I tended to do most of the work. If you see someone in the group is too advanced for the others, make sure he gets something more challanging to keep him motivated, and keep a look out for people relying in others in a group, as the only thing they are learning is how to copy others.

Well I'm no teaching expert, but my two pence. Hope it was helpful.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 04:53:33 PM »
          I only get 23,800,000 results!

Count them individually.  ;)