Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor problem or computer problem?  (Read 2834 times)

pete_2006

Monitor problem or computer problem?
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
Hi, about 3-months ago, I purchased a Viewsonic LCD monitor and hooked it up to my Windows 98 HP computer. It works great, except at random times the screen will go black. The green light stays on and sound will still play over the built-in monitor speakers; however, ther is no display. All it takes to get the display back is to turn it on at off. The display returns, immediately. The power cord and monitor cord both are securely connected. It is not a system "stand-by" problem; I checked all the power and screen saver settings. (The light will go orange when the screen display is turned off when the power setting timer is in use, so, that's not the problem.)

Today I switched the monitor to my XP but it has been too soon to seel if the problem will occur again. As I stated, it happens randomly, sometimes only once in a day but I have had it go off as much as ten or so times in a couple of hours.

Both computers and the monitors attached to them are on surge protectors.

Now here is something that may or not be related to this problem. I bought this monitor to replace an old CRT. The old CRT monitor died by quickly going black while I was working in Word, on the computer. When I tried to turn it off and back on, it made a bit of a funny sound and would not work. I figured some circuit burned out, so I disconnected it and bought the new LCD one to replace it.

About a week before that CRT died, I had a Windows General Protection Fault appear. I never had that happen before. I restarted the computer in Safe Mode and all seemed well, until the monitor gave it up about a week later. (I use my computers a lot, so it hade been turned on and off several times during that week, without problems.)

Anyway, today I also "Swapped" the CRT from the XP (which now has the LCD with the possible problem on it) and placed it on the 98. When I tried to start my 98 this morning, guess what? I got that same Windows General Protection error message. I shut the computer down and came here, after that happened.

What I am wondering is this...Is there really a problem with the new LCD monitor or could there be a problem in my Windows 98 computer that is placing some sort of strain in any monitor attached to it that caused the old one to die and is causing the new LCD one to "wink out" or is the protection fault just appearing because I swapped monitors and Windows cannot figure out what driver to use?

By the way, I have the 98 refresh rate set at "optimum."

Sorry for the long-winded explanation but I figured it would be easier to identify this problem with as much background as possible.

Thanks,

Pete

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Monitor problem or computer problem?
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »
    Well I'm sure the others might have some useful suggestions, but I don't have any immediate ideas. Perhaps anwering these questions could provide some more useful information:

1. Wether or not the LCD goes black on the second computer will definately be important... keep us posted.
    2. This CRT you now put on the 98 computer... I assume it is not the original one that went faulty?
    3. When using the monitor, press the buttons on them to bring up their options menu. There should be some kind of information screen that tells you the refersh rate and resolution. Look in their manuals for help. Using an incorrect resolution and refresh rate is a sure way to damage a monitor. Please tell us the resolution and refresh rates you have been running them at...
    4. For the time being, set the refresh rates to 60Hz and keep the resolution low (not higher than 1024x768). This refresh rate is compatable with all monitors, although it might not be so easy on the eyes. ;)

The Windows 98 optimum setting tries to use the highest detected safe refresh rate. It is possible the 98 is forcing the LCD to run too high, but this would be a bit odd because if you tell a monitor to use an incorrect refresh rate, it will simply not work at all until you change the setting.

pete_2006

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 08:55:13 PM »
    Hi Neil,

"This CRT you now put on the 98 computer... I assume it is not the original one that went faulty?"

Correct, it is another CRT that I have always had hooked up to my XP.

The LCD is recommended to run at 1280 x 1024 but I usually run it at 1028 x 768. I've had it half the day at 1280 and the last six hours at 1024, so far, no problem with the screen going black.

The refresh rate in the XP with the LCD attached to it is set at 60 Hz. ViewSonic claims the LCD monitor can be set as high as 85hz, but recommends 60hz.

As for the 98 with the XP's former CRT attached to it, I have not tried to start it yet, since that protection fault. I should mention that the protection fault prevented it from booting. It simply stated on the monitor screen that the computer was safe to shut off. I may need to start it in Safe Mode and adjust that optimal setting back to 60 Hz.

I'm concerned that the 98 may actually have some kind of hardware failure that could be damaging to any monitor I attach to it. I'm not even sure if that is even possible. By the way, everything else in that 98 works fine, no unusual behavior.

I'll keep you posted, as I expect to continue testing the LCD tomorrow and Monday. I have until Tuesday to request a new one under warranty, if it fails on my XP.

Any further insight would be appreciated and thank you for your reply,

Pete

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:19:41 PM »
      I can see why ur so jumpy, with the recent problems and all. But it makes no difference what resolution or refresh rate u keep ur monitors at. It is NOT reccomended to run it at anything, its ur choice.
      1280x1024 is the MAXIMUM resolution, not anything reccomended. I actually have a ViewSonic monitor, but that dosent make any difference anway.

You did good replacing the montiors in order to tell whether its the monitor or the PC.
      I can tell u now that it is almost certainly not ur PC. If a monitor goes dark, it could be for any number of reasons, but if u can get it back to normal by switching the on and off switch (without touching the PC), then it is the problem.

Placing a different monitor on a different computer can NOT cause any errors for the PC.
      I dont know what Windows General Protection is, are u talking abt Windows Genuine Advantage? In any case, that would have happened with any given monitor. It does not matter wich monitor u apply, the monitor only displays what the PC is generating, it does not have a say in anything.

That is why i think u should have it exchanged. Give it back to the store, and tell them its faulty and they will replace it for u. If the problem persists then we have an interesting case, probably one that has to do with power, but interesting never the less. ;)
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 05:09:56 AM »
        Windows tries to detect what monitor you are using and work out automatically what resolutions and modes it can display, especially if it is a plug and play monitor.

LCD monitors have a native resolution. Because they always have the same number of "pixel" light things, they always do the same "work" regardless of what resolution you are using. If you go to a resolution half the size, the monitor simply uses two lights to make one pixel, for example. As far as the LCD monitor is concerned, it's still doing the same work. Therefore you might as well run it at highest resolution, unless personal preference says not.

General Protection Fault is a "real" kind of error, it is nothing to do with Windows Genuine Advantage. I don't know too much about it, but it's a possibility Windows 98 hasn't detected the monitors correctly and now got a bit messed up.

What I suggest you now do is put in your Windows 98 disk and repair reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem.

pete_2006

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
        Making some progress...

As I stated before, when the LCD was on the 98, the refresh rate was set at "optimal." That's a setting in Win98 that lets the software detect the "optimal" refresh rate. It's a shame it doesn't display what that rate is...it's just "optimal." That led me to a bit more investigating…

Since the LCD ran perfectly on the XP yesterday, today I decided to check the refresh rate and play with it a bit. It was set to 60Hz for the LCD. I changed it to 72Hz. (Remember, I stated ViewSonic recommends 60Hz but only issues a warning not to select a refresh rate above 85Hz. About an hour after I made that change, the monitor screen went "black." Same situation as when it was connected to the 98. I just flipped the switch off...then turned the monitor off, using the switch I just "flipped-off -minor levity, and presto, the screen is back on.

Now the only question I have is if the monitor just cannot handle any other refresh setting other than 60 Hz, or if it was just a coincidence that the monitor worked all day yesterday. So far, it has not failed in the last two hours. Darn random problems are tough to track down. As Neil had mentioned, the only thing that should happen if a monitor does not support a refresh rate setting is that it won't display anything after it is changed. I did that once, years ago with another CRT.

The 98 is up and working again. I think it was, as Neil suggested, a problem with Windows recognizing the hardware change. I simply started it in safe mode, checked a few things, and restarted it. No problems.

Well, I think Track is on the right track with his comment about exchanging the monitor. While the problem is random now and fairly infrequent, it will most likely just get worse and even if it didn't, who wants a monitor you have to "monitor" all day long?

Thanks guys for all the insightful comments. This is really a terrific forum,

Pete

Neil

Expert
          « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:37:20 PM »
          In that case, avoid 72Hz, and let us know what happens ;)