Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching Out Hard Drives  (Read 2608 times)

SalaamDementia

Switching Out Hard Drives
« on: August 27, 2006, 03:36:25 PM »
The motherboard on my computer went down a few weeks ago. I've now got a new computer, but I'd like to try and retrive the information that was on the hard drive of my old comptuer. The hard drive seems to be in fine condition.

I was wondering what would be the best way to attempt to salvage the information from my hard drive? I'd considered removing the hard drive from my new computer and replacing the old hard drive in it long enough to transfer my information to an external hard drive, then replace the new hard drive. I don't know if this would create problems or damage my computer, so I'm leary on doing so. I really can't think of a different way to do this though.

My old computer as well as my new computer are both Dell Dimension 1100/B110, opperating on Windows XP Home Edition.

Any help is much appreciated... ::)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Switching Out Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
Don't remove the hard drive in your new computer.  You can remove the hard drive from you old computer and install it as a second drive in your new computer.  Configure the original hard drive in your new computer as master (it may already be set that way) and your old hard drive as slave, both on the same data cable.  One you've got them properly configured so that Windows recognizes both, you can copy files from your old drive to the new one.  You could leave the old drive permanently installed in the new comuputer if you don't need to put it back in the old computer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:49:28 PM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 03:44:05 PM »
All that needs to be done is to install the old HDD as a slave on the new machine and you will be able to access all your data...
Remember to set the jumpers properly they will be on the business end of the HDD. Also it gets connected to the middle connector on the IDE cable that goes to your other HDD on the new machine.

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
Soybean is typing faster than me again.... ;D

SalaamDementia

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:50:18 PM »
Okay, thank you! I'm pretty sure I can remember how to do this, I can't believe I didn't think of this before hand.  ::)

Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:10:27 PM »
You're more than Welcome and let us know how it goes...

patio.   8-)