Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU or GPU  (Read 2787 times)

sark

PSU or GPU
« on: August 26, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »
I think I'm losing performance because my rig is being bottlenecked..
I've had friends tell me it's my PSU
I've had other friends tell me it's my GPU (Video Card)
I have a:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (is somehow worse than the AMD Athlon XP 2000+ in my opinion)
2.5gb of RAM (upgraded from 1.5 to 2.5 and I didn't notice one bit of difference)
ATi Radeon x1300Pro AGPx8 (Upgraded from Radeon 9550 only a tad difference)
300w Power Supply (never been upgraded)
I think that's all the necessary information. If you need more tell me.
I have enough to upgrade anything but only one thing, I just want to know what you think it is that's putting a drag on my rig.
Thanks in advance.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: PSU or GPU
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 05:52:12 PM »
    Unneccesary, unwanted or undesirable programs running in the background.
    Put up a Hijackthis log, let's see what's going on in there.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »
      The Athlon 64 3200+ is better then the Athlon XP 2000+.
      http://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/

Your graphics card is fine. Its not powerfull but it is relatively new, or at least in the current generation of cards. CPUs dont tend to be bottlenecked as much as GPUs, so that issue is pretty much solved anyway.

Before i get to the problem, i have to ask though.. why do u have 2.5 GB of RAM? There is no game on Earth that would see a performance difference with that. Its a complete waste of money and power. So u spent have the worst graphics card of this current generation and yet u have enough RAM to power a high-end game from 2009?  ::)

Ok, so now ill tell u what i think the problem is.
      Its ur PSU.
      The recomended specs for ur card include a 400w PSU, and thats the minimum. You have an modern CPU and enough RAM to power the space shuttle, and who knows what else ur powering..

But, i still dont u know what u mean by "losing performance", do u mean that the performance was greater before, maybe when u have the 2000+ and the 9550? If so, then its definetely ur PSU.

Remmember to get a brand-name PSU. A bran-name 350w for instence would be better then an unknown brand 400w PSU, and also as the only thing keeping all ur hardware from dying, its best to get one that will last.
      « Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:06:48 PM by Track »
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

sark

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:21:45 PM »
      Thanks for getting back..
      I was thinking about upgrading my video card to a x800XT AIW so I could play bf2 on all high, but whatever. lol
      Do you think when I upgrade my PSU it will increase performance in everything?
      So I might be able to play bf2 on high with my x1300pro?
      I also am interested in hooking up my monitor to my xbox. Is this possible without a AIW card?
      « Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 07:59:00 PM by sark »

sark

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:22:25 PM »
      Unneccesary, unwanted or undesirable programs running in the background.
      Put up a Hijackthis log, let's see what's going on in there.
      Well with 2.5 gigs of RAM it shouldn't be much of a problem.
      I will put of a log. Thanks

sark

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »
      But, i still dont u know what u mean by "losing performance", do u mean that the performance was greater before, maybe when u have the 2000+ and the 9550? If so, then its definetely ur PSU.

Yeah it was much better when I had that setup, not sure about gaming-wise (because I only had CS 1.6 then) but it was definitely better for multi-tasking and such.
      I know AMD's aren't really made for multi-tasking, and that Intel is much better for that.
      But I mean the fact is it's a better processor (the 3200+) and it should be working better for all tasks.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 10:30:27 PM »

-I dont know what u mean "multi-tasking". Is it just using ur PC for certain programs and casual stuff? Well in any case AMD processors should not be any less good, except for the fact that they have lower clock speeds wich may make some sence.. because then they would still be good at games but around everything else they would be a little bit slower.. but im not sure. Why not get an Intel then, if u "multi-task"?

-X800XT/X850XT are the best AGP cards out there, i would highly recommand them if u dont want to buy a new motherboard (i know i did).

-All-in-wonder X800XT is the same card as the regular X800XT. Only difference is that u can plug in ur Xbox into it and play Xbox on ur PC monitor.. or any other device that can take advantage of Video-In (DVD, etc.)

All in all, what u MUST do now, is get a new PSU even if ur going to keep that old X1300 card. And if ur not going to get a new motherboard then i highly recommand the X800XT AIW.

sark

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 11:57:20 PM »
        Thank you for replying.
        So in your opinion if I upgraded my PSU to a 600W< my x1300pro might be able to run BF2 on high?

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 03:03:38 AM »
          Thank you for replying.
          So in your opinion if I upgraded my PSU to a 600W< my x1300pro might be able to run BF2 on high?

No, ur graphics card sucks. You may be able to play on low settings.
          Im saying that the PSU is one of the most important pieces of ur PC and u need to upgrade it for the safety of ur computer. Also, if u PSU is bottlenecking ur PC, then u will also see a performance difference, wich could be more significant then u think.
          Getting a new PSU is a must.

sark

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »
          Cool deal.
          Well I already can play bf2 on med. settings with x6 AA and it runs fine.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »
          There's alot of disinformation in this thread...

patio.   8-)
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »
          There seems to have been a lot of this over the weekend.