Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony Floppy Drive MPF920  (Read 3431 times)

nycajulio

Sony Floppy Drive MPF920
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:43:54 PM »
I installed a brand new Sony floppy 1.44 in my computer and it wil not recognize it. I received a "Not accessible. ID Address not found on floppy". Have no clue what the problem is. All cables are connected correctly and the floppy drive is not broken. Also, the floppy diskette itself is fine because I tested it on another PC. I believe it is a software issue. Looking for suggestions. Thank you.

My system is home built.

Mobo- Gigabyte 945PL

CPU- Pentium D 3.2GHZ

RAM- DDR2 667 1 GB

:-/

pcdoc4christ

Re: Sony Floppy Drive MPF920
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:22:56 PM »
Make sure you enabled floppy drive support in the BIOS.

Is this an external floppy drive connected to a USB port?  If so, make sure you installed the drivers.

Check Windows Device Manager to see if it recognized the floppy drive and if it reports any problems.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »
Also double-check your cabling....google has a bunch of hits with pictures.

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 03:59:40 PM »
Also double-check your cabling....google has a bunch of hits with pictures.

patio.    8-)
I agree.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:00:36 PM by pcdoc4christ »

nycajulio

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »
This is an internal floppy drive. The manual for the mobo is very vague. When I check the BIOS settings, it states that there is no floppy installed. I also have double clicked "My Computer" and when I click on the "A" drive, I receive a message that states " No ID Address Mark was found on floppy". This is not an issue with me connecting the cables incorrectly. Windows Device Manager just states Standard floppy disk drives on Standard floppy disk controller. Also, this is not a damaged floppy diskette or one with the shutter being opened or closed on the diskette. I am currently in communucation with the manufacturer. Lets see what happens. ::)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:18 AM »
If you are confident it is cabled correctly it could simply be a defective drive...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 02:07:14 PM »
Yes, it may simply be defective.  I once bought a floppy drive that I returned for exchange; the second one worked.  This happened to be a Sony.  

If you could test that drive in another computer, that would give you confirmation before concluding that it's defective.

Have you had a floppy in your computer in the past?  Another test would be to temporarily pull a working floppy from another computer and see if it will work in your computer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:09:37 PM by soybean »