Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video on cdr not playing  (Read 6524 times)

toby eder

video on cdr not playing
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:02:37 PM »
I have Windows 98...
I am trying to play some videos from a CDR my friend gave me, the video will only play 3 seconds. Then my computer freezes up, but the CD Rom still spins the CDR around inside. Windows Media Player stops resonding and usually my computer freezes.  It continues spinning the CDR around, even if I close all programs. If I open the CDRom my computer gives me the blue screen that it can't recognize the CDR and crashes.  The CDR works fine on her computer but not mine...

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: video on cdr not playing
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 12:31:36 AM »
    toby eder.....Do you have the proper drivers for the cd rom or is it a dvd player ?
    Are you able to play a audio cd in the player ...without things crashing ? What format is the media that you are to play ?

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

toby

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:43:33 AM »
    The CD Rom will play other CDs and CDRs I have with no problem...
    Windows says I have the right drivers... The video is in .avi format.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 01:17:45 PM »
    what version of windows media player are you using?have you tried windows movie maker...do you get the same results...

toby

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:32:39 PM »
    i'm using Windows Media Player 9... My friend just told me that the CDRs are actually CDRW, could that be the reason why they are not playing? I don't have a burner like she does.  I don't have Windows Movie Maker, would that make a difference?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 07:00:02 PM »
      toby eder.....it shouldn't matter if the disk is a cd + or - r or rw you should be able to read it .......If it was in dvd format you could not read it......Could you try it on another pc ( not your friends ) just to confirm that it can be playd ok .....it may have corupt files on it .
      If you have Media Player 9 ...that should work just fine and I do not believe you need Movie maker.

let us know
      dl65
      « Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 07:01:49 PM by dl65 »

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 07:54:33 PM »
      Yes, it does make a difference. CDRW's can be very problematic when played on a different drive. CDR will normally work but CDRW will normally not work well if it works at all.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 08:48:06 PM »
        2k dummy.......Interesting comment ......I use cdrw often and use them to move info from one pc to the other and I have never had any problems doing so ......but I suppose anything is possible ..

dl65  ???

Joleen

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 08:41:39 AM »
        We have to 'finalize' any time we burn a CD or it likely won't work on a 98 machine.  Figured this out when we sent out 150 CDs to clients and about 10 didn't work.