Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000  (Read 6467 times)

ladypiper

Windows 2000
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:53:49 PM »
Hi everyone, new here, hope someone can help. Not real good at computer stuff and I need help. I just got a new desktop that had everything already installed on it and I have dsl, so when I hooked everything up, it will not let me login, to get started, and no software or anything came with it to help me out (it's refurbished) and I have windows 2000 pro, and have been working on it for two days. My modem is hooked up and working properly, but when I try to log in it tries to connect me with a 888 number to connect with when I have a local number this computer connects to with no problems. What do I need to do?

GX1_Man

Re: Windows 2000
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:56:43 PM »
Hi everyone, new here, hope someone can help. Not real good at computer stuff and I need help. I just got a new desktop that had everything already installed on it and I have dsl, so when I hooked everything up, [highlight]it will not let me login[/highlight], to get started, and no software or anything came with it to help me out (it's refurbished) and I have windows 2000 pro, and have been working on it for two days. My modem is hooked up and working properly, but when I try to log in it tries to connect me with a 888 number to connect with when I have a local number this computer connects to with no problems. What do I need to do?

You cannot log in to Windows?

ladypiper

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:24:10 PM »
no, it will not let me log in, it can't get past trying to connect with dial up. I know it is not my modem, cause even when I am hooked up to it with the other box, it still shows all but the activity light on

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:17:58 AM »
Windows 2000 (and any NT product like NT or XP) were built to be secure, so someone without a password could not get in.

There are some ways, but it is not easy.

If you got no CD or COA with the computer, then technically this is pirated software and you should really get a legal copy for a LOT of reasons.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:12:34 AM »
    Log on to Windows, log on to the net, yes, no, maybe.....maybe I'm loosing it. :o
    When you push the button on the front of your computer, what happens.... blow by blow?

MacPC

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:42:22 PM »
      So are you saying that your PC is already boot into Win2K but not able to sign on via dialup? If you are able to use other applications then you are already in Windows, if that's the case, then the dialup part is a entirely different issue which has little to do with Windows.

MacPC

ladypiper

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »
      When I hook everything up to the new pc and try to log on, a window pops up that says internet wizard and it trys to hook me up by an 888 number that I have never used before. My modem light for internet says I am online, but my pc is telling me I am not, it's confusing to everyone I am sure to try to understand what I am trying to say without speaking and walking with them step by step. I am sure it is probably something simple, and the place I got my pc from is very reputable(?),so I am not afraid of piracy or anything like that. I guess they thought as well as I, that you hook it up and go, but I could have hit something wrong and thrown it out of whack in my aggrevated state:(

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »
      When I hook everything up to the new pc and try to log on, a window pops up that says internet wizard and it trys to hook me up by an 888 number that I have never used before. My modem light for internet says I am online, but my pc is telling me I am not, it's confusing to everyone I am sure to try to understand what I am trying to say without speaking and walking with them step by step. I am sure it is probably something simple, and [highlight]the place I got my pc from is very reputable(?),so I am not afraid of piracy or anything like that[/highlight]. I guess they thought as well as I, that you hook it up and go, but I could have hit something wrong and thrown it out of whack in my aggrevated state:(

I hate to harp on this, but did you get a real Windows CD and a sticker that has the 25 digit code affixed to the PC?

Can you see the Windows desktop with all of the little icons and the start menu? You are not being clear on this and this is preventing further help.

ladypiper

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:17:26 PM »
      I have no cd, but the sticker is on the pc with all its numbers and the start button, it looks like it should. Like I said, I don't think I am being able to explain myself right just typing this. The desk top has my computer,recycle bin,documents,internet explorer, I also tried to download my yahoo dsl internet cd and it comes up black with blue dots, completely unreadable, thinking maybe that would help. So now I am trying to email sbc and see what that problem is. All apps were suppose to already downloaded so I didn't need the cd

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:03 PM »
      I don't suppose you could post a screen shot?

ladypiper

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »
      Of what? the monitor screen, the pc or the sticker ? I could try, but then I have to download my cam stuff on here (a different pc) and that may not work with this one because it has very little space on it...Sorry to be such a pain

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:36:18 PM »
        Are you able to access the internet with your browser?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 07:59:08 PM »
        Of what? the monitor screen, the pc or the sticker ? I could try, but then I have to download my cam stuff on here (a different pc) and that may not work with this one because it has very little space on it...Sorry to be such a pain

LOL. The screen. I don't need to see your sticker!

How big a hard drive and how much free space. If that is another issue it may need to be addressed as well.

ladypiper

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »
        The new pc I want to use has 1g/256/10/cd/w2k, this one I am on is only 48m/233mhz/98se, nothing of use, that's why I am trying to get this new one going. And give me sometime to try my cam, but I highly doubt it will work on this one