Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Runs slowly, scans negative  (Read 4767 times)

lauraismyname

Runs slowly, scans negative
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:16:40 PM »
I own an HP Pavilion zv6000 Notebook. It's a year old.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor (2.0 GHz)
Windows XP Pro
768 MB RAM
100 GB Internal hard drive
Last week, I noticed my laptop running more slowly than usual. I really started to notice it when it took 4.5 hours to install a PC game. I reformatted two-three days ago, and it seemed to run fine. The same PC game installed within an hour. Then I woke up this morning, and it was suddenly running slowly again. It was not shut down or restarted overnight. AVG and Norton scans come up negative. It passed the short diagnostics check. The estimated time to run the long diagnostics check was 84 mins. It went from 0-10% in a few seconds and stayed at 10% for the next 110 mins until I aborted the scan. It takes 5-10 mins to boot when it usually takes under a minute. I signed onto AIM and was talking with one person, not messing with anything else when my screen flashed. Before the flash, I had a big green Start button with the windows icon on it, and after the flash, it changed into a gray square that just said Start. The font for my minimized windows changed and the bar went from having a gradient to being a solid color. It also did this same thing before the reformat. I have no idea what this could be, and my only guess is a hard drive failure. If anyone has any suggestions or needs more info on the laptop, please let me know. Thanks.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Runs slowly, scans negative
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:13:59 AM »
    Could you explain a little more Quatroking?

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 05:00:29 AM »
      It doesn't work like that because a simple reboot will release any RAM usage that some programs tie up even after they are shut down.
      The OP also said that after a format & install of the OS then things were OK for a bit.
      Add to this that
      I woke up this morning, and it was suddenly running slowly again. It was not shut down or restarted overnight. AVG and Norton scans come up negative.

AVG and Norton are antivirus programs and nothing detects everything.
      So what happened overnight?

Laura, were you connected to the net overnight and do you have a firewall installed?
      Have you scanned for trojans, give Ewido a run if you can.
      Online Malware Scan
      http://www.ewido.net/en/

You may have to try it in safe mode + networking.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 08:35:17 AM »
      The bullsh*t keeps getting deeper and deeper from this one.... ::)
      « Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 08:36:00 AM by GX1_Man »

lauraismyname

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:09:40 PM »
      The computer is on a network with three others behind a firewall. None of the other computers have problems. Ewido didn't find anything except for a couple tracking cookies. Keep in mind that it reset settings on its own (like the Start menu/font) before and after the reformat.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:23:04 PM »
      You
      re not running two antiviruses at the same time are you? If so turn one of them off, preferably Norton, and see what happens.

lauraismyname

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
      I never ran two at the same time. It takes forever just to run them one at a time.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 11:52:13 PM »
        Do notepads go into 'slow down' to conserve power or if they start running too hot?
        Anyone?
        How about a hijackthis log for this machine?

lauraismyname

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:42:49 AM »
        I don't think it's a problem related to being overheated. I've had this laptop for a year and it doesn't seem to be any warmer than usual. I ran a hijackthis log and nothing unusual came up. I could identify everything. I honestly do not think it is a virus. I've had this laptop virus free for a year. A virus has never once turned up in any scan. I take excellent care of my computer. Windows auto changed the way the Start button and font looked before AND after a reformat. My laptop also cannot complete the long system diagnostics test- after 2 hours, it's still at 10%. Are you sure it's not hardware failure? And, I have no idea what this means, but I can open all applications slowly, one by one, except for one- I can open iTunes but none of my music will play, no matter how long I wait. I've tried playing songs both from my internal and external hard drive. I've also been suggested it might be a graphics card failure, but I have no idea how I would identify that. I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.  
        « Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:47:38 AM by lauraismyname »

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:49:22 AM »
          The hijackthis log was only to see what programs are running, not neccesarily viruses etc.
          Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, what is your CPU & RAM usage?

lauraismyname

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 06:41:47 AM »
          CPU usage varies but remains low and memory usage was 266MB.

n0vyf

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 07:37:12 AM »
          check to see if the harddrive is getting full, windows uses the harddrive swap file to hold parts of the program not currently active in RAM, but used to complete the task given it.  If the harddrive is below 5-10% the swap file is adjusted and the computer speed and functions suffer.  Even more so for a LT due to the limits of HD space!

Assuming u r using XP, click start, all programs, Accessories, system tools, and choose disk cleanup.  This will get rid of a lot of crap that the computer doesnt need anymore and free some file space.

Next click start, all programs, Accessories, system tools, and choose disk defrag.  choose analyze, follow the recomendation that pops up.

If the hd is still to full you will have to unload some files like music, pics, etc. to a cd or external HD or thumbdrive.  Once you get above 20% free I bet your problems will go away.

you should also download and run ewido anti-spyware.  It is free and is one of the best I have found at keeping your system clean.

lauraismyname

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 10:50:57 AM »
          It says I am currently using 16/93 GB on my internal hard drive. Also, if you read all the previous posts, you'd see that I already ran AVG, Norton, and Ewido and that I just reformatted a few days ago. Oh, and I found out why my music won't play. Apparently I don't have any mixers installed which is odd b/c I did right after the reformat and my laptop has built in speakers.

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 12:52:31 AM »
            Anything showing up in your Device Manager?
            Is it slow in Safe Mode?
            Unless it's a secret I'd still like to see a HJT log.

lauraismyname

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 07:56:42 AM »
            There is nothing showing up in my device manager. I haven't tried safe mode. I'm taking it to someone today to see if he can't help me with it. I'll still be able to check the forums on my sister's computer. HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
            Scan saved at 1:29:04 AM, on 8/31/2006
            Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
            MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
            C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
            C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
            C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
            C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
            C:\Documents and Settings\Laura\My Documents\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
            O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
            O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
            O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
            O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
            O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
            O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
            O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
            O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
            O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
            O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
            O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
            O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
            O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
            O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
            O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
            O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
            O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
            O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
            O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
            O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
            O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
            O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
            O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\shared\hpqwmi.exe
            O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
            O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
            O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
            O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
            « Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 07:57:00 AM by lauraismyname »