Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my laptop keys are screwed up  (Read 5728 times)

pearljam_65

my laptop keys are screwed up
« on: September 13, 2004, 10:00:45 AM »
i have a dell laptop, and the keys are messed up.  some work properly, but others type the wrong letter.  my letter a types j......hitting h i get gh.  a couple of keys bring up my start box.  i watched a cdr slide show last night, then this happened this morning when i logged on.  i don't know if that did something or not......please help if you know what's wrong, or if you know how i can fix this.  i'm typing on an old keyboard plugged into my mouse port right now.  thanks.

justin

pearljam_65

Re: my laptop keys are screwed up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 10:28:48 AM »
since i posted that message, my keys are working differently.  before most of them typed the wrong letter, sometimes two wrong letters.  now they all type the correct letter, except the keys e, d, c.  those keys do nothing when pushed now.  if anyone has any ideas on what's going on, i'd appreciate it.  i hope my computer isn't going bad on me.  seems weird that they all work now with exception of those three keys.  

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 01:32:22 PM »
check your setting in control panel....keyboard icon....what operating sytem are you using..

pearljam_65

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 01:24:31 PM »
My keys work fine now, and they did yesterday for a little while too...then the c, d, e, and 1, 2 would not work.  a beep sounded when i pressed them, but that's it.  the internet explorer set up screen would then start popping up.  that would get worse and worse until i would have to reboot because every key i hit would bring it back up.  

i went to control panel and did a trouble shoot.  i got to where is said i may have a corrupt driver?  i kind of get lost there i guess.  

pearljam_65

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 01:24:51 PM »
i'm using windows xp

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »
see if this sorts it re-boot and keep tapping the f8<safemode>and chose the last good config...this may sort out your corupted driver...and scan for bugs...disable sytem restore to do this.....download this to a floppy if you can a run it on your laptop...disconnect it from the net...its better to do this >http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 01:34:41 PM by merlin_2 »