Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reg hack in win2000  (Read 5597 times)

trixterjim

Reg hack in win2000
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »
Ok, I hate to admit this, but Im getting old....I must have used this hack like 500 times a year ago in about 4 of the classrooms that I monitor, and now, today, when I want to do it again, I cant remember how to do it....... :-[
Here's the dilemma Im in.
I need to turn on the NumLock at boot, and I know the reg value is 2, however, in my reg keyboard setting my reg value now is at 0x80000000 and I cant remember where to put the 2...LOL....I am very much so hating to admit to this....I cant remember if I took out the entire key and dropped something else in there, or if I took one of the 0's off and put the 2 at the end....Please someone save my sanity today!!! LOL
And many thankx in advance......I have about two other problems that I will need help with...this is the easiest one, so I thought Id lay this one out there first.

downundersteve

Re: Reg hack in win2000
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:08:48 AM »
you can turn the numlock on/off through the bios, easier & quicker than reg hack.

if you can't do that for whatever reason, check the reg on one of the computers you changed

trixterjim

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 09:18:59 AM »
Ok, I didnt go into too much detail....the old systems are now re-imaged with xp pro, and the bios is showing that it is on, however, as soon as the system boots, and I have to enter a password, the numlock is off.

but thanks for the answer

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:14 PM »
Windows XP - Switching Num Lock On
Windows XP will switch off the Num Lock key when it boots. In some cases it's enough to make sure that the Num Lock key is enabled when you shut down; Windows will remember the status of Num Lock, and enable it on the next boot. In other cases this may not work, and Windows will always default to switching Num Lock off when booting. To fix this:

# Start the Registry Editor
# Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\
# Double-click the value InitialKeyboardIndicators, and enter 2 as it's Value data
# Close the registry editor
# Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

trixterjim

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:10:13 PM »
OK, for all of you out there that dropped suggestions....first and foremost, THANK YOU ALL! It was greatley appreciated in my dark hour of need! LOL

However, I was able to find the following and it helped me out a bit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Microsoft\Input Devices. Right-click on Input Devices, then select New, Key. Name the new key Keyboard. Highlight Keyboard, right-click on it, then click New, String Value. Name it NumLock. Enter ON as the value to turn the NumLock key on or OFF to turn it off.

Yes, a bit more in depth than what I wanted to do, however, it was pretty much the one thing that worked for me. And this time, I did a copy paste into a file that we use called "semester Cleanup" for all computers.

downundersteve

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »
don't forget to do a key export so you can keep the hack and just double click it next time  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »
Even though my advice fell on deaf ears it still works...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "