Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fax modem  (Read 2336 times)

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
    fax modem
    « on: September 09, 2006, 12:52:29 PM »
    I have a laptop with an inbuilt fax modem. I deleted the fax files I believe when I was in the Control Panel removing / adding windown component. I checked on the Fax box hoping to restore the fax function. THen it asked me to insert  XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD. I got this laptop from someone and I was not given the Pack 2 CD - Is there other way I can get the fax modem to work? are there other ways to get teh fax files from somewhere.. ANy suggestions would be appreciated thank you kindly

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: fax modem
      « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »
      How old is the laptop?  What brand?  Do you have any data on it yet?  It would be helpful if you can give us more information.

Alan <><

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:43 AM »
        Hello

thanks for trying to help. I have an Acer laptop (Aspire 3500 1.4 GHZ - Aspire 3502NLC1 I got it December of last year.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »
          I'm not sure about Acer, but they may have a partition that has all the files to do a complete install on the existing hard drive.  When you go into My Computer do you see C:\ & D:\, or just C:\?

Try doing a system restore prior to the date you removed the fax files.  Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore & choose a restore point.

Another option is tf it does have that D:\ partition, reboot the computer, look for something on the screen that allows you to reinstall Windows (like F2 ,F12 or something) and do a restore.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 06:04:15 PM »
            My laptop has two drives C (hard drive) and D (i.e. DVD/CD drive).  I will one of the options you mentioned. Thanks

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:19 PM »
            An Acer comes with a set of restore CD's. You can not install individual files from these. If you do not have the 3-5 CD set you cannot reinstall Windows either.  ;)
            « Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 08:47:48 PM by GX1_Man »