Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with sound card  (Read 2453 times)

short

help with sound card
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »
I have just re-installed windows xp on a compaq presario laptop. FOr some reason, it will not play any sounds at all. When I check in the device manager, it shows nothing.

I'm guessing I have to install the drivers for the sound card but not sure. Please help! The sounds worked fine before!

GX1_Man

Re: help with sound card
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 06:10:56 PM »
That is to be expected with a fresh install as the correct drivers must be installed for the device to be usable.

Why don't you post the exact make and model. There is no doubt more missing than the sound drivers.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:11:36 PM by GX1_Man »

short

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »
its a compaq presario v2000

short

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »
Which files should I download? Do you think they will need everything it offers? Which ones exactly will I need to get the sound card (and everything  :) ) working?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:44:56 PM »
The top audio driver for sure. You will need the graphics driver as well. If you are not sure what components are in there (like which modem, etc.) download and run Everest Home and make a report. Look through there and/or post it here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

short

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:34:53 PM »
i ran the report, but it all looks like gibberish to me. what am i lookin for? i tried to paste it here, but its too long. also tried to attach it, but its the wrong format.

also, i tried downloading the audio drivers and they are failing for some reason. is there something i need to download first?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:36:35 PM »
Run the summary and attach it as a zip file if you wish. We don't need the gibberish report, and you can just copy and paste it, but it may take more than one post to get it all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 10:36:55 PM by GX1_Man »

short

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »
I figured out the report finally and got all the drivers installed to the best of my knowledge.The only problem is that when I restart the computer it pops up a window that says the following driver could not be installed, but then it does not list any drivers. Also, when I go to the device manager, there's a section of "other devices" that has a yellow ! in front of it, and all ones the listed underneath have yellow ?! by them . They are

Mass storage controller
pci device
sm bus controller
universal serial bus usb controller
video controller vga compatible

also, it doesnt play dvd's anymore, and it used to

i thought it'd be that i have the wrong drivers, but they were the only ones listed under my model?

any ideas?

thanks for your help!

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
Miss Cleo is off this weekend. We STILL don't even know what equipment you are working with.  ::)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »
Look around for the shiny CD with the MBoard drivers on it that should have came with the laptop...

This should cure at least 1/2 of the problems.

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "