Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do you think of this interactive guide?  (Read 5221 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
What do you think of this interactive guide?
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:05:44 PM »
Check out this interactive guide on reinstalling drivers and fixing broken ones.
I think I did an excellent tedious job, but it seems to lack something. What do you all think?
http://www.jessez.mbhosting.com/instructionals/drivers/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 03:06:32 PM by zylstra555 »

karljolly

Re: What do you think of this interactive guide?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:09:02 AM »
i think you done a great job on that, what did you use to make it??

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »
    zylstra555......... Wow , you must have a lot of time on your hands .........
    I started to go through it in detail....... but what struck me after clicking on all those links , was why am I doing all this clicking?
    Lets take a hard look..... If one clicks on your link..... http://www.jessez.mbhosting.com/instructionals/drivers/   ........  the first thing you must do is click a link to be redirected ....... and then you must accept your terms to continue ....... ( thats enough to discourage a lot of people ) ......
    and then its ..... click , click , click , click , click , click ......... on and on ..... and then I got tired of clicking ....... so I left ........
    So my advice to you is use the "KISS" principle ......... Keep It Simple Stupid.
    The information , appears to all be there , however you have taken the art of clicking to a new level .
    LOL ..... If your interested , it took 18 clicks ( I may have lost count ) to get through the presentation ......   most people wont spend that much time looking for something ........ Why not present it as a slide show ? you can achieve the same result without all the clicking .......

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:40:36 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 06:46:11 PM »
    I agree with dl65, but have some additional comments.  Another way of presenting this would be to just put all the images of the Windows panels on one page.  In other words, for Device Manager, just do a screen capture of Device Manager (Alt/Print Screen), not the entire desktop view.

I'll bet that could be done and keep the overall size of such a web page no larger than some of those individual pages you now have just to show one step.  Your pages range from about 160Kbytes to 250Kbytes.  Those are huge page files.  

I also noticed that, on http://www.jessez.mbhosting.com/instructionals/drivers/present/index.htm, you said,

Note To Dial-Up Users:
    The images in the next pages are higher detail, and may not work well on DSL. The HTML of the document has many numbers in it, and this can also result is a longer loading time.

So, a note to Dial-Up Users says ... "may not work well on DSL."  It doesn't make sense.  By the way, I'm on DSL and had no problems viewing it.  But, Dial-Up Users would need a lot of patience.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:29:52 PM by soybean »

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 07:38:03 PM »
    I agree with dl65, but have some additional comments.  Another way of presenting this would be to just put all the images of the Windows panels on one page.  In other words, for Device Manager, just do a screen capture of Device Manager (Alt/Print Screen), not the entire desktop view.

I'll bet that could be done and keep the overall size of such a web page no larger than some of those individual pages you now have just to show one step.  Your pages range from about 160Kbytes to 250Kbytes.  Those are huge page files.  

I also noticed that, on http://www.jessez.mbhosting.com/instructionals/drivers/present/index.htm, you said,

Note To Dial-Up Users:
    The images in the next pages are higher detail, and may not work well on DSL. The HTML of the document has many numbers in it, and this can also result is a longer loading time.

So, a note to Dial-Up Users says ... "may not work well on DSL."  It doesn't make sense.  By the way, I'm on DSL and had no problems viewing it.  But, Dial-Up Users would need a lot of patience.

I agree with DL65 as well. The main point was to make an interactive presentation, and I do admin, it may have been better to do in a Slide Show. I used Dreamweaver to make this presentation. I completely messed up on the Dial-Up/DSL note, I didn't even notice it! I was making this late at night (not too late) so I suspect I was just side thinking about something else while writing that up. I can get rid of that whole agreement thing, I just have something against people who copy. I was just planning on guarding it with a PHP "Take down" script that I am sure to make if I go to collage for PHP and Web Design stuff.
    Thanks for telling me about ALT+PrntScr, Soybean. I wasn't thinking about that while I was making it, but I would not have remembered the key combo anyways. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 07:41:36 PM »
    Did anyone have trouble with their browsers double clicking on: http://www.jessez.mbhosting.com/instructionals/drivers/present/4.htm# ?
    And did the text show up in random places? I used Layers to present the text, and sometimes, I know that those do not always work. And did anyone get the "Wrong!" when clicking in the right area? (but the page suggesting it was the wrong place?)

Also, did anyone notice that on the last slide, (http://www.jessez.mbhosting.com/instructionals/drivers/present/11.htm) you could click on different areas of the page, like the Avast icons or the Photoshop, or the Windows Logo?
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:43:13 PM by zylstra555 »