Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME mouse/ display settings problems  (Read 2307 times)

Quintin

Windows ME mouse/ display settings problems
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:45:30 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am having a problem with Win ME.  My mouse does not work except in SAFE mode.  My keyboard works fine except for the two [Windows] buttons.  Also, my display settings are so large, I cannot see my whole display properties window.  I tried to change the settings and I am allowed to change them, then I am prompted to restart, but after I restart, the settings are the same.  What's up with that?   :-?

I have Windows 2000 ME 4.90.3000
Celeron processor
In System Properties it says the keyboard and the mouse is HID- compliant, and the mouse is a Microsoft USB Intellimouse.
I have a Gateway computer, I am not sure what model.  It is one that lays down long ways.
The mouse and keyboard are USB.  The mouse connects on the keyboard.

Quintin

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows ME mouse/ display settings problems
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:33:17 PM »
    First, is it Windows 2000 or Windows ME?  You can't have both unless you're set up for dual-boot.

Second, have you tried putting the mouse directly into a USB connector on the computer and NOT the keyboard?

Third, have you tried a different keyboard?

Fourth, you don't say if you can boot into normal mode.  :-?

Fifth, you don't say when this all started happening?  Hardware change / software update / program added?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Quintin

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:44:48 AM »
    Sorry...

It has ME.  

I have tried the mouse in every port and get the same results.  I have also tried other peripherals in all of the ports and they all work.  

I can boot into normal mode.  Everything on the pc seems to work as if there are no problems.  I can navigate with the keyboard.  The only things that are not working are the mouse, the windows keys, and the display settings.  But, they don't appear to have problems.  In Hardware manager, they are all working and have no issues.

I don't have another USB keyboard to try.

This all started happening when a niece used the pc.  Suddenly, there was a new desktop background and these problems.

Quintin

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:50:05 AM »
    Sorry...

It has ME.  

I have tried the mouse in every port and get the same results.  I have also tried other peripherals in all of the ports and they all work.  

I can boot into normal mode.  Everything on the pc seems to work as if there are no problems.  I can navigate with the keyboard.  The only things that are not working are the mouse, the windows keys, and the display settings.  But, they don't appear to have problems.  In Hardware manager, they are all working and have no issues.

I don't have another USB keyboard to try.

[highlight]This all started happening when a niece used the pc.  Suddenly, there was a new desktop background and these problems.
    [/highlight]
    Quintin

AHAAA  Buy a PS2 keyboard and mouse combo for about 20 bucks...does this make a difference ? ?
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:51:08 AM by patio »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quintin

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 05:52:18 AM »
    She changed something and is pleading the 5th at this time.  I can't figure out what combination of things she changed!?!

Quintin

Quintin

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:53:24 AM »
    Let me get back in a few days to see if that works.

Quintin

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 12:29:28 PM »
    In the meantime here are a few other things you can try...
    For the display: un-install and re-install the video drivers...

For the mouse: Re-install the mouse drivers ( an un-install is unneccessary here )

For the keyboard: Go to control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and find the keyboard. Right clik and select remove. You will get a warning...ignore it. Upon re-boot Windows will automatically re-install the keyboard for you...

patio.    8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "