Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook sends multiple copies to each addressee  (Read 3169 times)

Skol

Outlook sends multiple copies to each addressee
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:37:48 AM »
Hi, when I send an email from Outlook 2003 to more than one person, each person receives the same number of copies as there are people on the distribution list. i.e., if there are 8 addressees, then each addressee receives the message 8 times into their inbox.

Why is this happening and how do I stop it? - it causes great embarassment as it is not professional!

Help would be appreciated.

Skol

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Outlook sends multiple copies to each addresse
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »
What method are you using to send the email to multiple recipients?  Have you spoken to your ISP about this problem (since it could conceivably be at their end)?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Skol

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:16:35 AM »
I'm sending them through outlook. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the addressees are in the "to" section, or the "cc" section.

My isp is BTInternet/Yahoo. I have reported the problem to them, and was told it was an outlook issue, in their opinion, and that they couldn't help.

I have two accounts on Outlook - my personal BTinternet one and my work one (which is a web-based Dutch isp). the outgoing server for both is the BTinternet one. While the Dutch isp is responsible for my incoming mail, it cannot influence my outgoing mail, beacuse of this fact, so I don't think it is them.

It is actually only my parent company in holland that complain about this problem (that i seem to be causing), so I'm not sure whether other people/companies are also affected. I will try to send something to different groups on both accounts to see if that makes any difference, as I suspect that would be one of your next suggestions!

Skol

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:48:36 AM »
Ok, further to my last reply, I have sent test messages on both my accounts to different groups of people and they all replied that they only received one copy. Therefore, it seems that my Dutch parent company is the only one experiencing this problem. Can I safely assume it is some setting at their end, and if so, any ideas what could be causing it?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:08:13 PM »
It would not be a setting on their end in other words i cannot set my e-mail client to request "send me 2 copies of everything"...

Check the recipient list settings on the work account on your end.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

downundersteve

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 07:54:28 PM »
Hi there

Are you running trend or pc-cillin anti-virus by any chance?

Steve

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:58:46 AM »
it seems that my Dutch parent company is the only one experiencing this problem. Can I safely assume it is some setting at their end, and if so, any ideas what could be causing it?
It sounds likely that it's at their end.  I would suspect a misconfigured email server.  Does your parent company have an I.T. department?  Do you know if they run their own email server?

Alternatively, it might be a problem with the way the company downloads emails from the ISP.  I'd need a bit more detailed information in order to advise more fully.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 02:59:05 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Skol

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 03:19:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! To answer each one in order:

1. How do I alter recipient list settings? I cannot seem to find any option for this.
2. No, I am not running trend or pc-cilin.
3. They do run their own email server. I have thrown the problem back to the Dutch for the moment, for them to investigate. The conundrum is that they only get the problem from me and as far as I can test, I only have this problem when sending to them!

I will report back shortly, hopefully with a bit more info.