Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't delete this file from my temp Perflib_Perfda  (Read 5413 times)

bobqazwsx

Can't delete this file from my temp Perflib_Perfda
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »
Going from My Computer, local disk C, documents and settings, owner, local settings, temp.   There is a file named "Perflib_Perfdata_83c" that i cannot delete. When i try to delete it i get a message saying cannot delete, program is being used by another person or program.   In the past if i restarted my compter it would go away but after a while it wood be back usually after being on the internet. Recently it has remained in my temp file even after a restart. i tryed to use a program called killbot to delete it but it said it couldn't delete the file either.  Everything on my computer is running fine and i have run antivirus scans and spy/adware scans using rogers yahoo online proctection and the scans came back clean.  

So is this something i should worry about?

note: i search the web for Perflib_Perfdata_83c and basically got the same post on a few different websites i didnt really understand any of them.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Can't delete this file from my temp Perflib_Pe
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »
Normally the file gets deleted during shutdown. Abnormal shutdowns can leave these files stranded and clutter up your disk. They are created by the Windows Management and Monitoring Tools and contain system performance data.

You can turn off the monitor by going to Start==>Control Panel==>Add or Remove Programs

Click Add/Remove Windows Components and untick  Management and Monitoring Tools.

Good luck. 8-)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

bobqazwsx

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »
thanks, but when i went to turn off Windows Management and Monitoring Tools the box was already unticked, what does that mean?

ps: ur lil quote is funny but very unassurring lol
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:53:09 PM by bobqazwsx »

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:50:59 PM »
That was my one and only idea.  :'(  This must not be a good day. On the other hand, I believe only the most current file from the last boot is actually in use. You could write a little batch file to empty that temp directory on startup. Nothing in there worth keeping anyway.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
del /f "c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temp\*.*"

Not very sexy, but it should get the job done. 8-)

-- Albert Einstein

bobqazwsx

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:24:18 PM »
umm ok would emptying the file delete it or just reduce its size casue its only 16kb. and i have no idead of how to write a lil batch of code lol.

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 06:22:43 AM »
If you feel uncomfortable with a batch file, use windows explorer and navigate to the c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temp directory. Delete the files manually. Windows will prevent you from deleting any open files.

8-)

-- Albert Einstein

bobqazwsx

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »
its not that i am uncomforatable i just have no idea what a batch file is or how to write one. and deleteing the file manually was what my original post was about. if i get a message like cannot delete file bacause it is being used by another person or program i assume that means it's open, is there a way i can close the file? or is that what the management and monitoring tool thing was about cuase like i said it already uncliked.

any way the file is small and isn't a threat so i am not that worried about it thx for ur help. =)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »
    If it normaly gets deleted at shutdown why don't you restart in safe mode & see if it's gone.
    If it's not there in safe mode then it's working properly and should come back on the next reboot.

bobqazwsx

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 04:25:47 PM »
    how do u do a restart in safe mode? :-? dont yell its says right by my name i am a newbie.  

note: i turned off my computer and when i turned it back on agian the name had change from Perflib_Perfdata_83c  to Perflib_Perfdata_a00 . whats that mean or is it not important, never the less why wont it go away >:(    should i just give up?

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »
      Tap the F8 key as the computer is booting...tap tap tap tap tap.
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 08:58:59 PM »
      Don't forget to use that Google button:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Perflib_Perfdata

bobqazwsx

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »
      ok i read 2 pages on google links. most of the advise on them is about deleteing these orphane files. i am not trying to delete any orphane files becasue i dont't have any, i just want to stop this file from constintly being in my temp folder.
      or is that not impossible.
      some of the google links say go into task manager and one by one shutdown programs till u find which one is causing it.
      i know how to shutdown a program from task manager but i don't know which one are fitile (important to windows) or how could i even tell which one is creating the Perflib_Perfdata_xxx file and then how to stop it:-?

FED - i did the safe mode thing and in safe mod Perflib_Perfdata_xxx is not there, but when i restart into "mormal mode" or not safe mod it is back i dont know what that was suppose to do but i thought i tell u i did it lol.

one google site sugested the same as u to write that bit of script or code but that for getting rid of the orphane files.
      « Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 11:52:16 AM by bobqazwsx »

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »
      A good format and reinstall will fix all Windows problems, for a while.  ;)