Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sound card no work  (Read 2604 times)

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
sound card no work
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:06:56 PM »
Well I just installed win xp sp1 on my usb hd and its awsome but i have some anticipated problems... theres no sound on one of the computers I use. I dont have any stats because I dont know how to get them. if someone can help me get the stats and point me to some drivers it would be greatly appriciated... and maybe a few little pointers on doing it myself next time since this will most surely be epidemic every time i use a new computer...
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: sound card no work
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:43:21 PM »
    Go to Device Manager (on Windows 2000 or XP right-click My Computer / choose Manage).  There you will find all your hardware listed.  

Is the sound card on the motherboard or in a PCI slot?  Might have to eyeball the PCI slot one if that's where the sound card lives.

On the motherboard?  Find the manufacturer and model #, go to their site and look for downloads for that model.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »
    You guys ROck!!! I think my average reply is 4hrs tops... Well looking inside not a big help a few numbers were bigger than others but i may as well be looking into the human brain... closing it all back up I rememberd a program I have "System Spec" tells all kind of good things manufaturer, motherboard, modelnumbers, everything I needed. I go to hp website and there is the drivers... also my graphics card was not working so no games, this was not as much a problem for me until I saw it was only the very nex download...

I used to spend days pulling out my hair until I gave up, Then I found Computer Hope

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »
      If I understand this correctly you have xp on a usb hard drive and you're moving it from computer to computer booting to it as you go... right?
      I can't imagine that being very successfull, are you getting any 'Found new hardware' messages at bootup?

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »
      Yes it is xp on usb hdd, I got the website from a post here somwhere i cant find now. It does work quite well. It takes just a few seconds longer to load programs but no lag after loading. this is the only other computer i have used it on just yet. the problem was an easy fix but I just got lucky this time I think. But this is where I spend most of my time so its not too important to go from comp to comp. This was something I dreamed of since the first time I saw a pocket hdd. I didnt know that it was an impossibility so they say. I was glad to find that it was quite simple. I've been a big fan of portable software and have almost everything I need in portable programs but this is ultimate portability...

I do wonder if I should hold off using sp2 as for the wep thing or whatever. Makes it look like I have an illegal xp or does this have nothing to do with it?
      « Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:46:08 PM by fat_basterd21 »

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:07:35 AM »
        Try another 2 or 3 computers and you'll be screaming after your windows. Portability does not mean universality (what you use on a computer might not work on another, and windows is self-adapting, if it senses a hardware change he will try to adapt; it won't take long before he will do it wrong, it was not meant to be used this way). If you want portability get a laptop, if you want "universally available" than put on your hdd only data (files you need, files at which you work, programs that don't need windows registry). Uffff... Long story.
        « Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:08:14 AM by viking »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 07:10:15 AM »
        It's ridiculous to go without SP2...it is a major OS upgrade not just a security fix. If you are legit quit putting ti off
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fat_basterd21

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
        OK I admit this isnt a fix for having a laptop and all the problems are a given as I said when I started this post. Its hard enough dealing with windows on a single computer...LOL... But I have a 60 gig witch I'll prolly never use. So to waist 1 gig to have an os seams worth the few times it ever works... Even when I'm booted into XP 99% of the programs I use are portable versions that I was using on a usb stick before all this... Im at the library today to check it out, cant boot to the usb but I still have at least 40 protable programs.

thanx for the sp2 info I'll put it on... Is there a post explaining all Pro's, Cons to sp2 do I need sp3

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 06:55:17 PM »
        There is no SP3 released by Microsoft. Pass on that.