Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual booting programs..  (Read 2320 times)

Bulwark

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Dual booting programs..
    « on: September 08, 2006, 08:58:51 PM »
    Dual booting Win 98se and XP Home - file system Fat32 only.

Query is about installing application programs.  I appreciate that I must (or I think I must) install an application twice, once in each OS, but having done that can I delete one version of the program and create a shortcut on both desktops which points to the same version of the program stored on a non-OS partition :-?

To make it a bit clearer, Win 98 on C:, XP Home on D:, just one copy of the application stored on E:, both shortcuts point to the program on E: - full path\folder\filename info in the program, i.e. not using environment variables.

Thanks

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dual booting programs..
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:10:28 PM »
    I know I've seen this question somewhere in a forum or forums but I can't recall the details.  However, I'm fairly sure this is not a good idea, and that it can cause problems.  So, I believe you need to stick to the general principle of installing programs under each OS and leaving them installed that way.  Bear in mind that most programs makes changes to Windows Registry when installed and that both OS have their own Registry.  
    « Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:11:23 PM by soybean »

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dual booting programs..
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:08:56 AM »
    well I accidently put xp on the same partition as ME screwd it all up but booted XP I found some programs worked just even though they wernt installed to XP and some did not... I think there is many programs that dont need the install. I use many portable programs and some that I instal copy the files and uninstall. Some work some dont. Try to start the programs off your non OS and see witch one work. I think you would need to install the other and leave them installed if you cant allready run them from the other drive...
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!