Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I add an icon to the system tray?  (Read 3299 times)

lanimilbus

How do I add an icon to the system tray?
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:04:10 AM »
For some reason, my volume control icon disappeared from my system tray a long time ago, and I'd like to have it back there, but it refuses to drag and drop into the tray.  I downloaded a few programs that said they would allow icons to be added to the system tray, but they just turned out to be random files that I had no idea what to do with or how to use.
So, could anyone give me some help on how to put my volume control icon back into my system tray?  Thanks,
-Alec

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: How do I add an icon to the system tray?
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:58:52 AM »
    Try doing a system restore to a day when you had the icon. Did you change your sound card drivers?

Maksim

Hopeful
      Re: How do I add an icon to the system tray?
      « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 09:14:03 AM »
      try searching the computer if you have the sndvol32.exe is installed on the computer, here is how to fix this problem..

To display the volume icon in the taskbar notification area, you must select the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" check box in Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices applet. If, when you try to select this check box, you receive the error

[highlight]Error
      Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
      [/highlight]
      you need to copy the sndvol32.exe image from your commercial XP installation media (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session. (Start>Run> type in [highlight]cmd[/highlight]
         2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32