Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: COM Server application permissions...  (Read 11477 times)

spaceman33

COM Server application permissions...
« on: September 12, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »
Hi.

I was having problems with my PC and network connection, so I reinstalled Windows, did all of the critical updates from Microsoft, and problem still here.

I get a DCOM error in the event viewer.

Message is (to help if someone does any future searching):
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I went to the help link and it states:
User Action
Verify that the user has the appropriate permissions to start the DCOM server.

To assign permissions

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services.
In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer, and double-click DCOM Config.
In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.
On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box, select Customize, and then click Edit.  

There is no localserver32 value under the CLSID in the registry, as suggested, so I go to Localservice instead.  The value I get when getting the data value is HWDeviceCustomProperties.

I then goto DCOM config, and there is no HWDeviceCustomProperties in there, nor is there any instance of the CLSID code.

I really don't know where else to go to fix the problem.  My PC doesn't restart, my network connection just dies, and to access the internet I have to reboot to be able to connect again.  Sometimes its 10 minutes, sometimes it lasts a couple of hours.  A few days ago I could stay connected as long as required, but not now.  Happened on my previous windows install, happens on a fresh windows install...

My PC specs, from what I can remember:
Processor
Model : 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Speed : 2.01GHz
Model Number : 3800 (estimated)

Mainboard
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
System : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125 (Can't remember the exact name, packed my box away)
Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125
Total Memory : 2GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1005MHz (2010MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 2GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Adapter : Radeon X1900 Series
Adapter : Radeon X1900 Series Secondary

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2003 Professional x64 Edition 5.02.3790 (Service Pack 1)

Network Services
Adapter : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless_G Router)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: COM Server application permissions...
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:22:31 PM »
    Check this out:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=10016&eventno=4718&source=DCOM&phase=1

BTW, I notice you only have SP1 on your system.  Have you tried updating to SP2?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

spaceman33

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:03 PM »
    Thanks for the link.  Tried it yesterday but you have to pay to view the solution.

Was kinda hoping for a free solution.

On X64 it only SP1 is available, so I'm stuck with that, but it is fully up to date from Windows Update.

The problem is caused by a mismatch of files that occurs when you install Microsoft Internet Information Services. This problem occurs if you install IIS from an installation point that is not running Windows Server 2003 SP1. See M908181 for details on this issue.

See M817065, M913119, M919090, M919592 and M920720 for additional information about this event.
    See M895200 for a hotfix applicable to Microsoft Windows XP.
    M555099 has information on this event.
    Those links seem more like what I am after, but you gotta pay to view them.

spaceman33

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:29:51 PM »
    PS.  I noticed I was getting an IPSec entries before each of these errors:
    The IPSec driver has entered Secure mode. IPSec policies, if they have been configured, are now being applied to this computer.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.p
    Event ID 4294.

Anyway, I followed the help link and there was no info on the problem.  It did give me another link to try which produced:
    1. Delete the local policy registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps: a.  Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    b.  In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\IPSec\Policy\Local
    c.  On the Edit menu, click Delete.  
    d.  Click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the subkey.
    e.  Quit Registry Editor

2. Rebuild a new local policy store. To do this, follow this step:a.  Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 polstore.dll, and then click OK.
    So I have done that, and will now leave the PC on whilst going to work and see if problem persists.

(PS.  Just posting all the info in case anyone else has similar problems, then they can find it easily via search.  I'm not spamming, honest :) )
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:30:24 PM by spaceman33 »

spaceman33

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »
    Nope, made no difference :(