Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: packard bell monitor messing with primary dell  (Read 1864 times)

Dead_reckon

packard bell monitor messing with primary dell
« on: September 12, 2006, 05:28:46 PM »
ok, so, my secondary NEC monitor died, and i am now using an old packard bell monitor for a secondary, no matter what the refresh rate is on the packard bell or dell, the packard bell always causes scan lines in my dell monitor. could this cause damadge to my hardware? i just got a new sapphire radeon atlantis 9600 pro AGP card, i cannot have it ruined by this 10 year old relic of a monitor.

the packard bell monitor is a 1996 15 inch monitor, no OSD, no color controls, and it only displays in 800 x 600, it only interferes with my dell primary monitor when it is on. the dell primary monitor is a dell trinitron ultra scan HS1000 series

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: packard bell monitor messing with primary dell
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »
    You've heard the old saying "...don't put new wine in old wine skins..."  Don't have any technical details for you but be careful  :o :o

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »
      Sounds like magnetic intereference between the monitors. Try degausing them, and keep them as far apart as possible. It's unlikely to damage your graphics card, although it could the other monitor with prolonged usage.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »
      Sounds like magnetic intereference between the monitors. Try degausing them, and keep them as far apart as possible. It's unlikely to damage your graphics card, although it could the other monitor with prolonged usage.

tried deguassing the dell, many times, but, the packard bell has no OSD, menu, or any options (including degauss). yes, i thought it was magnetic interference aswell, but, it is settled now, somewhat atleast, i have gotten the ATI controls working, my tv is now running as second, works ok, i just wish i could figure out how to set it in a resolution lower than 8 X 6, but, there appears to be no way to do that. so, for now, the monitor will collect dust on my desk, my neighbor said that she would try to come up with one, she seems to be good at finding old parts that are no longer used. only thing that i do not like at all about this card is this: you CANNOT have two monitors and a TV hooked up at the same time, you can either have two monitors, or a monitor and TV. never both. so i wil have to pop my old nvidia MX4000 in for a second monitor, i will not touch the onboard video, it seems to have dissapeared since i installed the ATI card, i dont want to risk messing up the ATI config or drivers, i dont need any other problems right now. i guess i will just use the microsoft drivers for the nvidia card, they do not allow for openGL, but, i doubt i will be running anything that requires that in my second monitor.

oh, another question, there is a strange residue on this dell monitor, was like that when i got it, it is quite annoying, the monitor shows the red green and blue pixels as if its wet, but, the residue is dry, and will not come off with windex, greased lightning, or anything i have tried. if anyone has any ideas on how to get this off, tell me, the glare is increased alot by this residue, it is quite annoying. thanks in advance.