Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutting down issue  (Read 2508 times)

Ichiurto

Shutting down issue
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:34:54 AM »
I don't want to beat around the bush, I need help. The problem is this:

My keyboard works fine, I can type anything, no matter what.. But as soon as I hit the arrow keys (Sometimes it takes double taps to an arrow key) my computer will shutdown. No hang, no BSOD, no beep, just a complete die.. Power goes off.

I hooked up a wireless Mouse and keyboard set, and they work fine (They are USB though, I think) and I hooked up the other keyboard too another computer, and it never happened.

So, I think it's in the on-board port, which sucks big time, ut any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Shutting down issue
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:18:13 AM »
    Sounds like you've pin-pointed the problem...bad port.  Stick with the USB keyboard or replace the motherboard.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 09:33:14 AM »
    Sometimes a port just goes south, but sometimes it is after a PS/2 peripheral has ben unplugged (or plugged in) while the sytem is running. Does this apply in this case?

Ichiurto

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »
    I have unplugged the keyboard numerous amount of times while the computer was on (This is also true for plugging it in, as well.. I run two different keyboards on this computer, both PS2 port operated)

Anyway, I can't plug the keyboard I currently use for this computer in while the computer is on, it just won't work. I don't think this is an issue, though.. Seems to be something common.

The thing about the bad port is, and keep in mind I have very little experiences with on-board ports going bad or the behavior they exhibit upon failing.. But, the keyboard works fine. I can type, even hit the left and right arrow keys, but the down arrow (And up arrow) causes a complete system shutdown. I thought if it was the computer erroring, I'd get a BSOD (Because I have the option to restart atomically turned off) but nothing. Just turns off, like the power is sucked out or something.

It's like overheating, when the computer fails and dies, that's exactly like the problem.

I'm thinking of buying a new keyboard anyway (I know it would be easier to but a PS2 --> USB connecter or something) but I need a keyboard with a Full N-Key Rollover (No limit on the amount of buttons pressed at one time) anyone know of any?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:44:15 AM »
    PS/2 ports aren't meant to be hot-swapped, just sit in the dark and hot-swap your PS/2 port to see the sparks fly..

Does this behaviour occur outside of Windows as well? Maybe simply reinstalling keyboard drivers will do the trick in this case.

Ichiurto

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 11:55:45 AM »
    By "outside" windows, if you refer to the boot process, no. When the computer loads, it does the Ram Check, drives check, etc. and I can press any key at any rate, and it won't shut-down. In BIO's I can do the same thing, soon as it boots into Windows XP (This also happens when ScanDisk boots up on a non-normal shutdown) It will happen after the big Windows Xp logo and the "Windows is now starting" moving box.

So to answer your question, it doesn't happen outside. Well, I did install wrong drivers for the keyboard (My computer picked up the keyboard as a microsoft 101-102 button keyboard, but it isn't) but that was removed, and the right drivers were installed.. Again, I removed them, and let the computer install it's own. It happened anyway, right drivers or not..

This is the reason I posted it here, because it didn't happen outside windows, I didn't want to think it was a port problem..

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:58:56 AM »
    Perhaps your installation of Windows has gone corrupt. You're virus, spyware and Trojan Horse free?

Have you tested the RAM?
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:59:13 AM by Raptor »

Ichiurto

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 12:01:45 PM »
    Well, I hope I am spyware and virus free.. I have AVG Anti-Virus, and AdWare for spyware.. I run each once a night.

As far as the ram, I tested it a long time ago, but I forget what the tool was called.. MemTest something I think.. So, I guess I haven't in awhile.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 12:37:55 PM »
    Try testing the memory again using This program (Click)

Use Hitmanpro to check your system for spyware and the like, but do so in safe mode.

Also check to see if the problem repeats it self when in safe mode, perhaps certain drivers are causing a conflict that causes your Windows installation to react in this manner.
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:38:13 PM by Raptor »

Ichiurto

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 01:10:34 PM »
    This problem doesn't happen in safe-mode...

This is good news, I think. A Driver issue seems to be the cause.. I'll go fix it now, thanks for all the help.