Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm not too sure if this is the right section but  (Read 2418 times)

jerkbutt

I'm not too sure if this is the right section but
« on: September 14, 2006, 11:32:21 AM »
I am panicing, my computer has died. It turns on, but nothing registers it's connected, the laser of my mouse doesn't come on, the keyboard doesn't light up and the moniter wont come up with any information. I just really want to know what's wrong even if I can't fix it. I had 3 books and hundreds of short stories on there! help!!! :'(

danieloup

Re: I'm not too sure if this is the right section
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
can you try opening it up and see if any lights are on on the motherboard, are any fans spinning?
Try degaussing it by unplugging all powercables and hold the power on button for 5 sec. then plug everything back in and try again...good luck.
data should be recoverable by taking the current harddrive and plugging it into another pc, as a secondary harddrive or slave (bios talk).

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:26:08 PM »
    Need...more...info (gasp)  :P

Do you hear any beeps when it starts / fans running / any type of hard drive noise / are you getting voltage to the computer (plug a light into the wall socket where the computer lives)

Unplug the computer @ the wall / wait a few seconds / plug it in and try again

Alan <><  :D

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

jerkbutt

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:33:36 PM »
    So, the tower is wirring and making lots of sound, fan is going, power light is on, however nothing else is recognizing an power from the tower, so monitor and mouse and such are not working.

danieloup

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:22:24 PM »
    whate make and model of pc is it?
    have you got onborad usb?
    and a on board video card?
    can you open and close the cd drive?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:29:04 PM »
    Faulty PSU can be a culprit.  Or a faulty motherboard.  Or almost anything else.  Are you comfortable opening up your PC?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 05:12:43 PM »
    And are you comfortable posting enough information to get some help?

jerkbutt

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:11:29 AM »
    I'm a novice, but it's an e-machines that I got in late 2003.  It's worked fine every day up until now.  No the Cd drive will not open and close.  I have nodiea what you mean by onboard USB and Videocard.  A friend of mine also thinks it may be the motherboard.

Thanks for any help guys!