Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Losing my mind...please help    (Read 2433 times)

johnnyblotter

Losing my mind...please help  
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:34:40 PM »
Okay I can't get into Windows at all.  I switched the boot order to the CD and put the XP disc in the CD drive.  I get the prompt - press any key to boot with CD.  Again, I get to the Windows Icon screen, it looks like it's loading.  Then, it dissappears as usual, except nothing else happens.  The screen stays black and the processor keeps running.

I thought this was because my system drive was toast...what would prevent Windows from displaying? is it possible I can't see it for some stupid reason, like a peripheral plugged into the wrong place or something?
Crap, I need to get into my system, any help is appreciated.

drsletmedown

Re: Losing my mind...please help  
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:44:31 PM »
Try another monitor.

Michael

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
    This is on the top of the first page of the forum (Microsoft Windows section)

:)

What kind of peripherals you have?
    Try to remove all of them and left only the basic components and try to start again.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 09:02:03 PM »
    Okay I can't get into Windows at all.  I switched the boot order to the CD and put the XP disc in the CD drive.  I get the prompt - press any key to boot with CD.  Again, I get to the Windows Icon screen, it looks like it's loading.  Then, it dissappears as usual, except nothing else happens.  The screen stays black and the processor keeps running.

I thought this was because my system drive was toast...what would prevent Windows from displaying? is it possible I can't see it for some stupid reason, like a peripheral plugged into the wrong place or something?
    Crap, I need to get into my system, any help is appreciated.

Well if you get the prompt....It probably isn't your monitor.

When you enter your BIOS does it show your hard drive?

Can you try another free power plug-molex 4 pin and IDE cable
     on your hard drive?

Your hard drive is not being found when you boot with the CD.
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 09:12:02 PM by street1 »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.