Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Zone Alarm Pro is causing my pc not to boot  (Read 9714 times)

Dead_reckon

Re: Zone Alarm Pro is causing my pc not to boot
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 09:33:21 AM »
i cant, blue screen of death, no way to screen shot it, or anything, the drive will not boot.

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 10:26:03 AM »
Test your RAM and Hard disk Drive using diagnostic software.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
Test your RAM and Hard disk Drive using diagnostic software.

it may have been the hard drive, after disabling performance mode on the RAM, it stopped rebooting randomly. but now, it appears that i cannot access my folder in documents and settings on what use to be the C: drive, it says access denied, how do i get around this? i tried DOS, but, even DOS says access denied, i have tried copying the files, extracting them, ect. nothing works, any iideas? i know i set it so i was the only one who could access the files, i NEED to get my music and stuff off of there. ANY HELP will be taken, as long as it means recovering the files.

JPH

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 05:39:25 PM »
    it may have been the hard drive, after disabling performance mode on the RAM, it stopped rebooting randomly. but now, it appears that i cannot access my folder in documents and settings on what use to be the C: drive, it says access denied, how do i get around this? i tried DOS, but, even DOS says access denied, i have tried copying the files, extracting them, ect. nothing works, any iideas? i know i set it so i was the only one who could access the files, i NEED to get my music and stuff off of there. ANY HELP will be taken, as long as it means recovering the files.
    Try turning off Simple File Sharing and then re-claiming ownership of the folder in question.

1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
       a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
       b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
       c. At the very bottom of the list, UNcheck the Use simple file sharing check box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.

4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

"You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes."

7. Click Yes.

8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Hope this helps, good luck!
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 05:48:08 PM by JPH »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »
    [highlight]i have XP pro installed (my dads copy), when i use my dads key though, the stupid windows genuine advantage says it is invalid... i suppose i will have to find a way around that... [/highlight]thanks for the firewall though, seeing as i wont be installing SP2 until i can get it to accept the key. i dont see why microsoft is so greedy about there software, they have more than enough money to allow atleast 5 keys per cd without charging the prices that they currently do.

oh, as a note, i cant use dual monitors without having them all clone the primary until i get SP2 installed. really really really annoying...

Why do you have the RAM cranked to performance mode ? ?

Why keep introducing more variables into an already FUBAR'd situation ? ?

As to your Docs and Settings dilemna check the MS website for "taking ownership of folders "

Once you get your data back format that HDD reload a legit OS and all updated drivers and hopefully for awhile your grief will be over.

patio.    8-)
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 05:42:47 PM by patio »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 06:08:57 PM »
    Try turning off Simple File Sharing and then re-claiming ownership of the folder in question.

1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
       a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
       b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
       c. At the very bottom of the list, UNcheck the Use simple file sharing check box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.

4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

"You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes."

7. Click Yes.

8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Hope this helps, good luck!

perfect, i would have never thought to look in the folder options...
    patio, i didnt turn on performance mode, i just noticed that it was on, dunno how it got turned on. but, my computer is weird like that. and i am running a legit OS on the 30 gig, it sounds like a coffee grinder at times, but, it works. i will use this until i upgrade to a 320 gig sata drive, will cost me about 180, no prob wiht the job program that my school is putting me on. i have to get a PCI sata card so it will run at 3.0 gb\s, no reason why i should pay 94 bucks for an ide drive when i can get a sata one for the same. i will have to find the drive and card, seeing as they where lost in the prievious format of this drive... but, all issues are resolved... for now... hopefully my PC will not go on another rebellion.