Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem for Old Computer?  (Read 4366 times)

magikgirl

Modem for Old Computer?
« on: September 15, 2004, 04:41:54 AM »
My mother has an old computer with no USB ports and she wants to use a USB modem she was given. Is there some kind of adapter that we can buy?

HelpMePlease

Re: Modem for Old Computer?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 06:28:49 AM »
If it's really old i would just buy i newer one, or upgrade to a little better computer, if you are intending on using it for the internet. Otherwise your probaly gonna experience more head aches and frustration fiddling around with older comps and modems. Especially online ;)

Now a days it's almost mandatory that you use at least a 56k modem (most people can't even stand dial up anymore) and at least a 600mghz processor or higher at least. <<<But thats just my opinion.  :-X

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 10:04:37 AM »
You can buy expansion PCI cards that have USB ports.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 12:16:09 PM »
My mother has an old computer with no USB ports and she wants to use a USB modem she was given. Is there some kind of adapter that we can buy?

No USB ports indicates a pre-Pentium II.  Not worth fooling with.  Not that I don't like "old" computers.  All mine are Pentium II's and III's.  BTW, USB modems are nothing but trouble.  56k PCI card modems can be had, new, for less than $20.  I got mine, new, for $5.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 05:05:32 PM by Computer_Commando »

magikgirl

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 02:28:14 AM »
Thanks for your help. I have talked her into upgrading. Pentium 3 systems start around $50 second hand here, I found out a 9 pin serial to USB adapater was $69. She may as well have a quicker system.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 01:37:14 PM »
    magikgirl.....What about picking up a PCI or ISA modem...unless there are no available slots on the motherboard . The cost would be less than an external modem.

hope this helps
    dl65 ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.