Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer crash - Must Reinstall Windows Problem  (Read 4981 times)

trailrunners

Computer crash - Must Reinstall Windows Problem
« on: September 15, 2004, 08:15:20 AM »
My computer crashed last night.  It froze up when trying to get online, and I couldn't ctrl-alt-delete to restart it, so I had to reboot it.  When it rebooted, all kinds of files needed to run Windows were not there including turbovbf.vxd, nwredir.vxd, nwlink.vxd, nscl.vxd, vgartd.vxd, c:/windows/system/gxpmw.vxd, wpsrcom.386, wpssem.386, wpsrbnd.386, turbovcd.vxd, and also "error loading mouse.drv you must reinstall windows"

So, I need to reinstall Windows to get my computer to boot up.  I could not start the computer in safe mode.  Another major problem, is that my floppy drive (drive A:) does not work.  So, I can't use a boot disk in the floppy drive to get the computer booted up.

How can I reinstall Windows 98 without a floppy disk drive or boot disk?  Is it possible.  I can get MS DOS prompts, and I do have the Windows 98 CD, but I can't figure out how to boot up the computer or reinstall windows 98 from the CD in MS DOS mode.  I do have a functioning Zip drive.  Can I use the Zip drive as a boot up disk?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mac

Re: Computer crash - Must Reinstall Windows Proble
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 09:00:49 AM »
You would save your self a lot of trouble by installing a new floppy drive. ($12 locally.)

If you can get to another computer then you could make a bootable CD on an 80mm MiniCD to use in your CD-ROM and if your BIOS will support booting from the CD-ROM you could change the BIOS boot sequence and then boot to to the bootcd.

Once booted, and having typed in the install command, you then just have to swap the CD for your Windows '98 CD and hit the Enter key.

I hope you have your ProductKey code handy!

If your Cabinet files are on your HDD you can do a re-install from there.

X:\Windows\Options\Cabs\install , or,

X:\Windows\Options\Install\install , (or setup)

Where X is the CD-ROM drive letter. (Usually D or E, but then mine is H or Q , so it doesn't always follow.)

Plus. This command can vary from country to country. System to System or between MS & OEM.

trailrunners

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 09:06:47 AM »
Thanks a lot for the post Mac!

I was considering the idea of buying and installing  a new floppy drive, but will the computer even know that I've installed the new drive that works if I can't even boot up the computer and configure the new drive?

Thanks again!

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 09:40:58 AM »
Just get into your BIOS and make sure that the BIOS can see it.

You should see which key(s) you need to press as the POST screen appears.

You can't configure anything on a HDD with no operating system either!  ::)

hehe

Btw, Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus rescue set, or can you make one up on another computer?

Then, if you fit a new floppy drive, you can boot up on this and run the AV first of all.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 09:44:07 AM by Mac »