Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Serious problem with starting computer.  (Read 3101 times)

Zopharr

Serious problem with starting computer.
« on: September 18, 2006, 05:18:35 PM »
I just built myself a new computer, and for the first day or so everything was fine, except for the fact that the processor was running at an extremely high temperature (65C idle 80-85C load).

I opened the case, after I found out that I put on too much thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5, that is).

After taking some off with a paper towel, I put everything back together, and tried to turn the computer back on.  It stayed on for about half a second, then shut back off immediately-- no BIOS beeps or anything.

I tried everything I could, but it would not stop doing this.  Currently, nothing is hooked up to the motherboard but the power supply and a fan to test if the motherboard is running at all.  It is sitting on a cardboard box as well, free from any metal that may be shorting the system.

All of the components are brand new, bought from newegg, and all worked just fine prior to removing the thermal paste.

Could this be a problem with the power supply or motherboard itself?  I was doubting the motherboard, because the fan I have attached to the power supply is not in contact with the motherboard at all, and that too shuts off immediately upon being powered on.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Serious problem with starting computer.
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »
    Did you ground yourself prior to touching any of the internal components?  

Might be that processor (rare) / motherboard (likely) / power supply (likely)/ RAM (ify) is defective :-[ Unfortunately, without a replacement it's hard to tell.    

Do you have another power supply you can check with?  

Did you make sure you plugged EVERYTHING in correctly?  

[highlight]...power supply is not in contact with the motherboard at all, and that too shuts off immediately upon being powered on.[/highlight]  Not a good indicator.  At this point, not having the system to work with, and your symptoms, I'd lean toward the motherboard or power supply.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Maksim

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »
      It might be the over heating problem, check if everything is connected ok.
      P.S. instead of tesing the system on the table try putting it in the case and try that..
       [highlight]P.P.S. What are you placing under the motherboard? If it is a antistatic bag it will short some of the components.[/highlight]

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »
      After taking some off with a paper towel, I put everything back together, and tried to turn the computer back on.  It stayed on for about half a second, then shut back off immediately-- no BIOS beeps or anything.

I think that you did not reseat the heatsink properly.

You should also be careful when applying thermal paste yourself, the manufacturers standard solution (A thermal patch) is often more efficient and less work and it should come with any cooler nowadays.