Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Keeps Disconnecting  (Read 13144 times)

Raptor

Re: Internet Keeps Disconnecting
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 02:04:39 PM »
How do I refer to the router and wireless NIC card manual? I may have an idea how to do that, I will check that out....

Oh, that's quite easy, really. You just open the booklet that came with the router.  ;)

The information you need should be in there. If you haven't got the manual anymore, download it from the manufacturers website.

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    « Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »
    This is what the booklet says about my NIC card if I am asked for the correct one....
    "Please select the Network card that you have connected to the Sympatico DSL modem with the Ethernet cable."
    What the *censored* does that mean? I dont see anything on the modem and all it says on the ethernet cable is 'type cm 24awg 60 c (ul) E188630 csa ll81295 cmg"
    I'm gonna call Bell a little later after I go out and ask them about it, if I call now I might just spend the time yelling at them....

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »
    I wouldn't bother calling Bell.

The cable you have lying there is called an Ethernet cable.

Is this a modem with built in wireless function that has been provided to you by your Internet Service Provider? If so, you should contact your ISP for documentation, not bell.

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      « Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 02:40:06 PM »
      Yes, Bell is the one providing the modem, internet and all, it does have built in wireless....As I mentioned in my first post I have been on with them a dozen times and they say they fix it and then it doesnt work again a short time later, they arent being any help at all, thats why I was hoping someone here may be able to help....
      « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:42:22 PM by fullbug »

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        « Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »
        Does anything in this info give me information I need?

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
        Well, you haven't verified that all the hardware is on the same channel and neither have you changed the channel yet, so I suggest you do that first. And if Bell supplied the hardware, it is Bell that you should contact when it comes to manuals.

Did Bell also supply the Sympatico DSL Modem, though? I think your provider did.. And if so, does it come with a wireless function built in?

And no, that screenshot does not tell us what channel the router is sending on.
        « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:58:45 PM by Raptor »

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
          « Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »
          I will look into the channel thing before I do anything else....
          Bro, its Bell Sympatico that provides EVERYTHING, except the computer itself, and the wireless feature is in the modem, it has a little antenna on it and everything....
          Here is a link to info on the modem....
          http://www.dsldepot.com/item.asp?id=271&desc=speedstream_6520_residential_gateway
          « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:15:18 PM by fullbug »

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
            « Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »
            I just got off the phone with Bell for the 80th time, the guy said channels would have nothing to do with the problem, they said the problem seems to have been on their end, the guy said our connection was too fast, whatever that means, everything seems to be working OK for now, but then again they have said they had fixed the problem before, so time will tell I guess....
            In any case, thanx for all the help, much appreciated.... 8-)

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 10:12:12 AM »
            Well, okay, I suppose none of us could have guessed it was too fast. It's usually the other way around.  ;)

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
              « Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »
              I have never heard of a connection being too fast before, thats a new one for me....

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 11:23:10 AM »
              It is strange, but perhaps they were speaking of your router being set to the G-standard whilst you're using B-standard equipment.

Ehm, that's the only thing I can think of. I'm not very good with Wireless equipment.

Why does Bell provide you with your cable modem? Who is your ISP?

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                « Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »
                The ISP provider IS Bell, they have expanded their services I guess, they do cable TV as well now....

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »
                The ISP provider IS Bell, they have expanded their services I guess, they do cable TV as well now....

No wonder it wasn't working...they're learning as they go.   ;D ;D
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                  « Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 09:50:24 AM »
                  What a shock, worked great for about an afternoon, now its disconnecting just as much as ever, *censored*.... >:(

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                    « Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 11:07:14 AM »
                    Is it at all likely I have a worm that only HiJackthis would find? I could post the logs, but only if someone will go through them for me....