Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: memory access violation  (Read 8468 times)

jonrandy

memory access violation
« on: August 05, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »
Hi.  I have a prob that is literally driving me insane.  I have a little ole spongebob game that played fine on my old ancient computer..but for some reason, when i try to play it on my new computer, i get an error! memory access violation window and game closes down.
It baffles me because i'm still able to the the couple other much larger, more detailed games i have.  I have run a virus scan and all is clean. I fear that a couple weeks ago when my brother installed a registry cleaner on my puter, it might have deleted some needed application.  It seemed to be deleting a lot of stuff and i stopped it and deleted the whole thing off my computer, which i realize now was a mistake because maybe i could have recovered some of what i lost.
any ideas on how to fix a memory access violation? because i'm thisclose to just using system recovery.
specs:
windows home xp
sp2
AMD 3100+ sempron processor
1.84 Ghz 384mb ram

any insight, greatly appreciated

GX1_Man

Re: memory access violation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 08:52:16 AM »
You can test your RAM with a small download from www.memtest86.com, but the cause---> effect from the registry cleaner (always a bad idea) seems apparent.

If it were me, I would backup my data, reinstall Windows and password protect the machine from your brother.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 08:52:30 AM by GX1_Man »

jonrandy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:09:32 AM »
tyvm ...checkin out the memtest thing and preparing myself for reinstallation  ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 06:58:28 PM »
Let us know the next chapter in the story.  ;)

jonrandy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 07:50:02 AM »
the next chapter is ...further aggravation  >:(

i reinstalled windows to no avail. The game still will not run. I finally started up in safe mode and tried the game again.  This is what it said:

No 3D capable graphics card was found on your pc. This usu indicates your pc is an older model, b4 they came out with 3D cards.  

my computer is one month old!  :-?  i know i can  play 3D games because i have 2 others that are much larger and run just fine...it is only this game that gives me *censored*.

windows home xp
sp2
AMD 3100+ sempron processor
1.84 Ghz 384mb ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6100
directx 9.0c
not sure what other info is needed

i am at a loss on what to do...i'm not computer illiterate but i don't know how to check on my graphics card..or do i even need to check/test it?....are the other games that run fine just a fluke?
plz can anyone guide me?

my son loves the game...i am pretty satisfied that at least my other games run...but now, it has become my mission to get this dang thing to work just on principle alone!!!  i have a NICE computer ......game SHOULD work!! my computer meets ALL requirements!!!   >:( >:(

;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »
Have you tried compatibility mode? What is the exact name of this ancient game? We just need more details. Was it designed for XP or what operating system?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

jonrandy

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 08:21:20 AM »
no no no....the game isn't ancient...its called spongebob's 3D obstacle odyssey...and it ran fine on my old ancient computer...which was bought in 2000.....the puter btw, not the game

i got a new puter and zilch.  (even tho my new computer meets all requirements for playing this game)

i tried doing the compatibility thing yesterday..no go.

the problem is the game doesn't think i have a 3D graphics card, which i do (i assume i do anyway, cos i can play my other 3D games just fine)

--------->>>  pulling hair out strand by strand

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 10:03:49 AM »
The 6100 is not a video card though. It is onboard graphics, correct?

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2539

jonrandy

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 11:17:51 AM »
i have no idea if it's a video card or not....i've just been following other directions and on my computer under device manger>display adapter it lists the above mentioned NIVIDIA GeForce 6100

i have since found out that my puter also has  nVIDIA C51 3D accelerater....not that it makes a diff cos dam game won't run

thks for trying to assist me tho

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 12:16:38 PM »
Onboard video is usually marginal at best for intensive 3d games. Some, like the Sims 2 just will not run without a specific video card listed.

To verify yours is onboard look where it plugs into the monitor cable. If it is from the case itself rather than an expansion slot (one of those add in slots), it is onboard.

Demache

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 06:34:59 PM »
Maybe the game is just old (believe it or not) to run on your new computer. If the game was made for Windows 9x then perhaps Windows XP will not let the game into certain files or the game doesn't recognize your card. If your on a administrator account then the game should work. If it isn't working still I guess your outta luck (unless someone comes up with a better solution).

The game I've been trying to get to work is Sim Tower. Its a really fun game even though its 12-13 years old. My new WinXP machine says it can't run it because it can't find a 16-bit app. Although it works on my old Win95 machine that also uses XP. It runs fine under Windows XP on the old computer. Perhaps the processor is to fast (1.4 Ghz Celeron) on my new machine compared to my old machine (333 Mhz Pentium II). The game runs almost too fast on my old machine. Interesting how some programs are picky on how NEW a computer is.

[highlight]I'm NOT asking for solutions on my problem. Just giving a example.[/highlight]  ::)