Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I open my MS keyboard?????  (Read 2502 times)

mdybus

How do I open my MS keyboard?????
« on: September 20, 2006, 07:59:20 AM »
Hello everyone,
I have a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 ver 1.0 keyboard. The guarantee is expired and I have a tiny problem that is annoying me to the max. I live in Holland but purchased the keyboard in America. The problem was there from the start, I thought I could live with this but now I want to repair it myself.
The problem is that the LED for the caps lock is missing! when I removed all the screws from the bottom of the keyboard the only things I was able to remove were the wrist pads. With these removed I was able to look at the smallpc board and can see that one of the leds is in fact not there. If I can seperate the top and bottom shells I can easily solder in a replacement led but I am unable to seperate the two halves. Does anyone here know how to do this? Are there some hidden screws under one or more keys? if so which keys?
Thanks for any suggestions
Mike

ZealEmpire

Re: How do I open my MS keyboard?????
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »
My only recommendation would be to locate the actual model number of the keyboard usually written on one of the corners or underneath the board and googling your model number followed by the word diagram.   Maybe if your lucky enough there will be a diagram or photo of the break down of your board.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:04:08 AM »
    Try swapping the scroll lock (which nobody uses nowadays) and the caps lock wires or something?

ZealEmpire

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 11:36:13 AM »
    It appears he is still trying to find the way to open the board up.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:54:17 PM »
    Typically some screws are hidden under the rubber feet, which are stuck on.  How about posting some photos?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mdybus

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »
    I tried the Google diagram thing. With absolutely no success.  :-[ I 've been googling like crazy with no results.

Also you are correct in saying I cannot get the $#&%* thing opened up. One cannot repair what one cannot get to.  >:(  I suspect there are one or more screws hidden under the keys. IMO

Here you go with the pics! Front and rear views. The rubber feet are tiny and have no screws hidden under them.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
    Those are the kind of rubber feet that look like they might be concealing catches/lugs.  What do you see when you remove the feet?  Just a blank piece of plastic, or something that looks like a joint?  (No, not ganja...)

This is an interesting exercise, just writing out how I tend to approach this kind of thing.  My disassembling of components has always been somewhat... intuitive...  (Yup, things get damaged!!!)
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 04:00:28 PM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mdybus

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
    No Rob nothing under the little pads except plastic.  ;D
    When all the screws are removed from the bottom and the wrist pads removed I am able to pry the corners up a bit. It seems like something is holding the center of the top and bottom together. I should have been more clear in this. Thus the reason I think there are screws hidden under one or more keys. If I'm correct then the question is which keys. I've tried prying on a couple of keys up to a point where I felt that if I put any more pressure on them they would break. Aside from the missing LED everything works perfect. I don't want to break the keyboard. Since I am not a touch typer I would very much like to have the idiot light on to warn me I'm typing in Caps. If there were a button to revert a sentence or two typed in caps to small letters that would be great. Since there isn't, at least to my knowledge, then I'll have do do what I've been doing, delete the line and start over. LOL the fun never stops.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 06:05:08 AM »
    Quite a few plastic components have what i call "snap tabs" inside...that is when the 2 pieces press together they snap lock.
    You can try gently prying inside the edge towards the center to try and get them to release however i cannot assume any responsibility for damage incurred using this method.

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "