Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Yast Doesn't Find Hard Drives  (Read 5170 times)

waterfall

Yast Doesn't Find Hard Drives
« on: September 21, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »
Hello, I've been trying to install Linux for the past several weeks, with no luck. Now, suddenly, upon running YaST for the 100th time, it no longer finds hard drives 3 & 4. Drives 1 & 2 are still found though.

I've checked my BIOS settings; everything looks OK. So, what could be causing this?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Yast Doesn't Find Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »
Is this on an installed Linux system?  You might be using the wrong tool for the job.  Please cut and paste here the contents of the following file: /etc/fstab
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:06:24 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
Hello, I've been trying to install Linux for the past several weeks, with no luck. Now, suddenly, upon running YaST for the 100th time, it no longer finds hard drives 3 & 4. Drives 1 & 2 are still found though.

I've checked my BIOS settings; everything looks OK. So, what could be causing this?

See below.

waterfall

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 07:57:07 AM »
Is this on an installed Linux system?  You might be using the wrong tool for the job.  Please cut and paste here the contents of the following file: /etc/fstab

Sorry I didn't provide more info; I thought all Linux distros are the same at the installation stage.  I guess not.

So..... It's a brand new ASUS A8N32-SLI motherboard with 4-SATA controllers; each has a drive attached.  No operating system is installed---hence, I'm performing a clean install.

Originally, my intention was to install openSuSE 10.1 on RAID1 arrays (comprised of disks 1&2). Disks 3&4 were for data.  Over several weeks of trying, I restarted the computer and ran YaST about 100-times.  Now, it can't find disks 3&4.

Is it possible that it corrupted the MBR?  If so, how would I clear it?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 09:05:48 PM »
Is this on an installed Linux system?  You might be using the wrong tool for the job. Please cut and paste here the contents of the following file: /etc/fstab
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos