Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Crash at boot screen  (Read 1855 times)

V

Crash at boot screen
« on: September 23, 2006, 05:00:41 AM »
Hello,
Asus p5gdc mobo
Pentium 4 3.4
Ati graphics (sorry, helping a friend - not sure)

About choosing a forum... I thought this might concern both windows and DOS

The system has xp installed, just formatted. The pc has been crashing (screen just freezes - no error message OR rebooting) after about 5 minutes of playing a game. This has just happened but it wont reboot this time. It freezes at the boot screen (picture of mobo etc). The first time i had an error message saying "3rd master not detected" but it hasnt hapened since. Tried getting into BIOS but its freezing before i can.

To give this some history,
Supposedly this has been happening for a while but no damage has ever been done to the hardware from it.
The crashing when running a game would lead me to believe that that its over-heating...maybe?:) i checked the the graphics fan is working which it is. Then checked the CPU temp which was around 70 just after crash. I should have checked the Graphics card temp but i ... didnt really know how so i left it for the time being... but i guess this is another problem considering im not even able to boot into windows, thought it might shed some light on the problem for someone who knows a lot more about this than me.

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:14:33 AM by V »

V

Re: Crash at boot screen
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:13:58 AM »
Ok, i have changed from a wireless keyboard to PSP and its letting me press delete in order to enter BIOS: im not sure how to set up the third IDE Master though. The 1st and second are set to cd drives though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:42:37 AM by V »

Raptor

Re: Crash at boot screen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 06:44:29 AM »
Make sure all fans and heatsinks are operating normally.

Test HDD and RAM using diagnostic software.